Embed HEIC Images?

I just had a user post HEIC format images, but they do not auto embed within the post. I converted them but wondering if 4.5 supports this format? Looked it up and found that:

HEIC is the file format name Apple has chosen for the new HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format) Standard. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Hard to believe with how widely iPhones are used and how much is accessed on mobile that we don’t have this as native support yet. I started this topic over two years ago…lol.

That's why I closely follow the developments in this field. From their iOS, my users post pictures in heic and videos in .mov... nothing that is displayed directly on my forum. I'm not criticizing people who can't do anything about it, it's just a rather sad observation...

I would still have to tweak a script using FFmpeg instead of converting all the .mov manually with the famous Handbrake software.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I have no problem with posting images from my own iPhone. If people are posting using another format of image, you would simply need to inform them they are not supported. Unfortunately we have no control over what browsers support

I understand there isn't a native approach to this that IPS offers, I was just wondering if anyone had come up with an alternate solution to support automated conversion (HEIC --> JPG) within IPS (i.e. plugin or some other approach).

Even CloudFlare appears to have zero support for it,

https://developers.cloudflare.com/images/faq/#can-cloudflare-images-use-the-heic-heif-format

Honestly not sure it's worth the hassle. Are you seeing these images posted a lot on your community, or just once in a blue moon?

If ImageMagick supports the format you could theoretically just have them converted to another format. I believe a plugin could accomplish this. But if it's not a common issue I wouldn't personally bother.

1 hour ago, Makoto said:

Even CloudFlare appears to have zero support for it,

https://developers.cloudflare.com/images/faq/#can-cloudflare-images-use-the-heic-heif-format

Honestly not sure it's worth the hassle. Are you seeing these images posted a lot on your community, or just once in a blue moon?

If ImageMagick supports the format you could theoretically just have them converted to another format. I believe a plugin could accomplish this. But if it's not a common issue I wouldn't personally bother.

It's mainly newer phones defaulting to this format to save space.  While not a huge problem, it's an increasingly reported one.  No way to gauge how many abandon posting something because their upload fails to embed or is otherwise not an allowed file type extension.  

Newer phones take care of this for you automatically.  When I attempt to add a HEIC file from my iPhone, the iPhone itself uploads the file as a JPG.  I did not need to do anything other than pick the file. 

For example, below is an image I snapped on an Amtrak train from DC to NYC…

Could contain: Animal, Zoo, Outdoors, Bus Stop, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

Edited by Randy Calvert

53 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Newer phones take care of this for you automatically.  When I attempt to add a HEIC file from my iPhone, the iPhone itself uploads the file as a JPG.  I did not need to do anything other than pick the file. 

For example, below is an image I snapped on an Amtrak train from DC to NYC…

Could contain: Animal, Zoo, Outdoors, Bus Stop, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

So maybe it's newer but not the latest phones and this will slowly go away?  Today's case was a Samsung phone but can't recall the model offhand.

It might be that they are transferring the photos from their iphone to other devices in some other manner, and then trying to upload the images on non-iphone devices?

That could be what's happening instead of them uploading straight from their phone. It could also be that this auto conversion only happens in more modern versions of iOS. I have no idea honestly since I have no apple products.

But if multiple users on your forums are reporting it as an issue it could be worth having a plugin made for it.

• 10 months later...