Improve the Approval Queue

Morrigan

So I loved the Approval Queue, still mostly do. But as things get more active on my site the approval queue starts to get a little (lets face it a lot) unruly when you can only check on items 1 item at a time. When you have 50 items to check you're going to be sitting there for a while. Plus, if you need to get input/feedback from other staff members about potential things the queue (this will be especially important with the new Per Topic Post Approval feature).

My favorite part about it is that it does show the content (for the most part, some sections like gallery I think only show a link still but I'll be real I don't remember specifically).

Now for the fine tuning. I think it would work better if there were multiple (25) on a page. I'd say something similar to what it shows now with a "less" and "more" button to show content similar to reported content?

I could ramble for forever but something that more or less makes approving content less of a tedious or chase it around task and something that lets you MASS approve content items in a single sweep.

Edited by Morrigan

• 5 months later...

I would like to see a notification icon for moderators and admins for approval needed counts, with a link directly to the approval section and the first item needing approval. Currently its 3-4 clicks to get to the approval section and lumped into overall notifications. I guess the same way that user reported content is broken out, content needing approval would be nice to have broken out as well.

• 1 year later...

Can someone from Invision explain either, 1. what I'm doing wrong, or 2. why this is a good user experience? I started with 212 of these, so that means over 424 mouse clicks.  Only 1 of those 212 was a valid post.  Why can't I batch select from a list and delete 25 at a time? That would be about 10 - 12 mouse clicks to get them all.

4 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Can someone from Invision explain either, 1. what I'm doing wrong, or 2. why this is a good user experience? I started with 212 of these, so that means over 424 mouse clicks.  Only 1 of those 212 was a valid post.  Why can't I batch select from a list and delete 25 at a time? That would be about 10 - 12 mouse clicks to get them all.

+++

Happy Back To School GIF by Kohl's

• 2 weeks later...

Another 68 spam posts in my approval queue... 136 mouse clicks to clear them all....  So, I ask again...  Can someone from Invision explain either, 1. what I'm doing wrong, or 2. why this is a good user experience? Why can't I batch select from a list and delete 25 at a time? 

Another video of me deleting posts 63 - 0 for Invision's viewing pleasure....

Just now, Randy Calvert said:

Personally I disabled guest posting. That eliminated the majority of the spam for me. 

I normally don't get this much because I have used @CleanTalk's plug-in for a while.  There was an issue with it on my site and the spam was getting through, but their stellar support has resolved it. 

I don't feel that disabling guest posting solves the approval queue user experience issue either. 

10 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

Personally I disabled guest posting. That eliminated the majority of the spam for me. 

Having guest posting or not, depending on your approval setup this particular means of going through posts is daunting and detrimental. There is quite a few ways to accumulate approval queue posts:

• Guest posting that requires approval.
  • User posting that requires approvals (for new members or members currently under surveillance)
  • Forums that require approval before users post in it (the Sales forum on IPS used to use this feature).
  • Topics that require approval before people can post in it, this is a special moderator feature for volatile subjects.
  • Posts in Databases, gallery, calendar, new clubs etc.

Each of these items can end up in the approval queue and can add up over time. While I don't have 50+ on average it doesn't change the fact that the queue is a bad admin experience from a UI perspective, time consuming and overall meh.

Sure. Flag a person as a spammer and be done with it but that doesn't resolve the issue overall on extremely popular sites. Additionally, using other methods (going directly to forums, databases etc with pending items, doesn't make for a good experience either. This should be an all in one easy place for us to view what is pending and be able to approve, delete or hide any necessary pending approval content.

I'd dare say it would be nice to have filters like:

• All pending items from X user
  • All pending items from X IP

But I digress. This has been a pending suggestion for almost 2 years so at this point I'm sure its being ignored but it is a much needed change.