Swear filters - A bit of fun

Swearings getting a bit out of hand on my forum lately, probably due to everyone being bored out of their minds, frustrated, skint etc etc because of Covid.

Haven't activated the swear filter up till now, but as the forum is for professionals and is widely visited by the public I think I need to do something.

Rather than just replace words with ***** I thought it might be fun to replace them with alternatives, might make the posted second guess trying to beat the filter, specially if I cover all bases.

Anyone care to put forward some suggestions?

Needs to be subtle enough as to not make a mockery of the place

Example:

c word - awesome guy

We considered something like that a while ago. Once we reaslised that nearly all the swearing was in the off topic forum, we thought itwould only encourage posters to have a competition for the most ridiculous sentence possible and there's alreay enough rubbish in that forum.

In the end we just used 16 *s for all words we replaced. That destroys any chance of people inferring the meaning and thus it is impossible for members to get the context or get offended. IT has virtually stopped it now apart from 'jokes' copied over from other sources.

7 hours ago, Rhett said:

Very hard to do without a raw list of what is being used, as to be creative you need to know the words being used and the context. 

True, it would render lots of things meaningless.

Still it would be funny to change the c word to babe, and seeing members calling each other a total babe 

51 minutes ago, GlenP said:

In the end we just used 16 *s for all words we replaced. That destroys any chance of people inferring the meaning and thus it is impossible for members to get the context or get offended. IT has virtually stopped it now apart from 'jokes' copied over from other sources.

This is actually a good idea, thanks

I've employed this tactic for years on one of the forums I have

Changing the swearing to something really soft is amazing 

One of the forums is a football forum so can get a bit 'LAD' sometimes when certain people try posting on the site, so it's always good to chill the language out with replacements. It really does work