Reactions in private messages

12 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Hey there,

I'd love to see Reactions implemented into private messages. 

My staff and I use Messages to communicate, and some times I would prefer to "like" their comment to acknowledge I've seen their message versus having to reply every time.

Thoughts? 

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Even have requests from my community for this.

1 hour ago, Fosters said:

Something like this?

Of course including notifications and everything else 🙂

reaction.thumb.png.d05b9607315c28f1e32f5c8446a68ba5.png

Oh my gosh, YES!

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, The Heff said:

Users would need to be notified that a reaction has taken place. I very rarely go back to a private message unless I'm notified of a new reply.

Well theoretically they could set their notifications to show Reactions and then they would be alerted. I turned mine off because otherwise I get 200 notifications when I'm offline for a few hours, but not everyone is in that same boat. 😊 

5 minutes ago, aXen | 1s2k said:

It would make sense only if the reactions didn't add reputation.

In my opinion, this is a strange concept.

Why? Literally the same happens if you have applications or nodes/categories/forums which are only visible to specific member groups.

Dozen of members can have 1000s of reputation points from some exclusive forums and yet most members won't see any of their content which got the reactions.

BUT said that... I've also noticed a huge abuse of the system where people liked their own private messages to climb up the ladder which caused us to disable the plugin again🤣.

Yes, I also want reactions in PMs, and it would be very nice to have.  I've often caught myself wanting to react to a PM, only to be brought back to reality when I realized I cannot do so.  I personally am involved in many long private conversations involving several people, and it would be great to react to individual messages the same way you can do in the forum.  In fact, it seems like an odd omission not being able to do so.

One of my members started a thread asking for this feature back in December, and someone else just bumped it today, which prompted me to come over to this forum to take a look if anyone had suggested it.  

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/299601-reactions-in-pms/

.Al

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 12:35 AM, breatheheavy said:

Is it possible to set it so members can't react to their own pms? 

Hey, @breatheheavy. I'ma tell you what. I'll PM you and you like my pm, and then you pm me back and I'll like yours, and we'll do this for days, farming high reputation posts in our own little bubble that then gives us access to the secret high reputation club, where all the good gifs live, rather than earn it through public posts in forums where reputation counts.

+1 for the option at least to not have reactions in private messages impact reputation score if this gets added or offered as an extension.

Jersey Shore Diet GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

12 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Hey, @breatheheavy. I'ma tell you what. I'll PM you and you like my pm, and then you pm me back and I'll like yours, and we'll do this for days, farming high reputation posts in our own little bubble that then gives us access to the secret high reputation club, where all the good gifs live, rather than earn it through public posts in forums where reputation counts.

+1 for the option at least to not have reactions in private messages impact reputation score if this gets added or offered as an extension.

Jersey Shore Diet GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Delivery is everything. This is not the vibe. Please be more thoughtful when speaking to others. 

I think if you framed your comment this way, it'd be more impactful:

"What if there was an option to enable or disable adding reputation count to Reactions in PMs? I'm not sure this would be a good fit for me in particular. I worry my members may potentially abuse this by sending each other PMs and inflate one another's reputation score. On my forum, members with higher reputation scores gain access to a premium GIF library."

Please keep in mind that though this may not be suitable for your forum, it could work very well for others. 

Thank you. 

Edited by breatheheavy

Very wise! My apologies for not being more clear about the intended humor! ❤️

In thinking about a universally useful implementation across any IPB platform, the option to turn on and off the ability to influence reputation score of an individual is an important use case to remember, and the issue is not liking one's own content, but rather providing an invisible way to brigade with others to advance the score of members in a group in a low-effort way.

1 hour ago, Paul E. said:

Very wise! My apologies for not being more clear about the intended humor! ❤️

In thinking about a universally useful implementation across any IPB platform, the option to turn on and off the ability to influence reputation score of an individual is an important use case to remember, and the issue is not liking one's own content, but rather providing an invisible way to brigade with others to advance the score of members in a group in a low-effort way.

❤️ Appreciate your reply ❤️