How to embed MOV files?

Over 50% of our offroad users are on IOS and they upload MOV file that doesn't play in browser.

Any clue/idea how to embed MOV files in IPB and play them without downloading them, just like MP4 video files.....?

@Clover13 @Joy Rex @AlexWebsites have you guys found some solution?

It's very disappointing and painful that we still cannot support IOS users.

1 hour ago, Gauravk said:

Over 50% of our offroad users are on IOS and they upload MOV file that doesn't play in browser.

Any clue/idea how to embed MOV files in IPB and play them without downloading them, just like MP4 video files.....?

@Clover13 @Joy Rex @AlexWebsites have you guys found some solution?

It's very disappointing and painful that we still cannot support IOS users.

Same deal here, very annoying. I’ve had to convert to mp4 for some users. .mov does not play natively embedded on windows/chrome/edge like mp4 and apple products don’t play mp4. How does YouTube do it?

Video attachments only appear inline when the device viewing the page can natively play it (.mov is originally an Apple format, which is why it automatically embeds on Mac/iOS, MP4 is generally the most compatible over multiple devices).

Our blog entry where we introduced this feature has more details - https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-videos-r1071

Youtube for example transcodes uploads into various formats for streaming. If you access a just published video on Youtube, you may see that it's only available in 360p since the higher quality versions haven't yet finished processing).

28 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Video attachments only appear inline when the device viewing the page can natively play it (.mov is originally an Apple format, which is why it automatically embeds on Mac/iOS, MP4 is generally the most compatible over multiple devices).

Seriously......................!

IPS should do something to support 47.4% GLOBAL USERS.

We are not asking support for nokia, blackberry and microsoft support.

Blog admit that video is everywhere in 2018 but still you give an explanation of native - non native support after 2 years.

image.png.33ad948282d6a95ab91d579f93bfb476.png

1 hour ago, Gauravk said:

Seriously......................!

IPS should do something to support 47.4% GLOBAL USERS.

We are not asking support for nokia, blackberry and microsoft support.

Blog admit that video is everywhere in 2018 but still you give an explanation of native - non native support after 2 years.

image.png.33ad948282d6a95ab91d579f93bfb476.png

It isn't purely Apple users, it's down to what software you have installed on your PC. For example if a Windows user had Quicktime or the Quicktime Codec installed (via VLC player etc) they would also be able to render the video in the web browser.

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

IPS has no conversion process built in, it’s just a video player embedded if the browser supports it. How about an html5 conversion process and player? Or some sort of third party solution like we have for other services via API, maybe Amazon AWS or cloudflare. 

This is correct, transcoding video is quite an intensive process that most web hosts won't have the required server software installed to do (yes, we know customers that run their own server can install ffmpeg, but generally it isn't on the majority of customer systems, so yes a 3rd party API would be the ideal solution). You cannot however easily transcode a video in a web browser with HTML5/Javascript. I would recommend reading a post Matt made recently 🙂 

Still the same download links for MOV, as others have stated with the reasoning as to why.  Video is obviously an important element of forum posting nowadays, unfortunately this is a caveat for users and discourages them from posting movies when they don't get the auto-embedding.

Has anyone figured out how to auto-upload to your site's YouTube channel when a video file is uploaded, then replacing/embedding that YouTube link instead?  Would be nice from a lot of perspectives:  comprehensive video processing, externalized storage (not tanking your host storage or S3, etc).

Edited by Clover13

On 5/17/2020 at 8:03 AM, Clover13 said:

Still the same download links for MOV, as others have stated with the reasoning as to why.  Video is obviously an important element of forum posting nowadays, unfortunately this is a caveat for users and discourages them from posting movies when they don't get the auto-embedding.

Has anyone figured out how to auto-upload to your site's YouTube channel when a video file is uploaded, then replacing/embedding that YouTube link instead?  Would be nice from a lot of perspectives:  comprehensive video processing, externalized storage (not tanking your host storage or S3, etc).

The only way that would work is if there was an account on the YouTube Channel that IPS could use as a service account to handle uploads to YouTube through - I don't think YouTube has an API to upload videos to a channel.

Barring the above, the other concern (non-technical) is if a user uploads something that violates their TOS and creates issues for the YT channel...

21 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

The only way that would work is if there was an account on the YouTube Channel that IPS could use as a service account to handle uploads to YouTube through - I don't think YouTube has an API to upload videos to a channel.

Barring the above, the other concern (non-technical) is if a user uploads something that violates their TOS and creates issues for the YT channel...

YouTube used to support uploading via an email address, but they eventually terminated that feature.  Before then, I would use it and have members just email their videos, it would upload automatically to the channel and set it to Unlisted where I would review and approve it.  Took a lot of the legwork out but a lot of manual work still there.  Agree, you wouldn't want to blanket trust random members to upload TOS conforming videos, you'd need some level of mod/admin approval workflow in there too.

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, bfarber said:

If your browser/user agent/device supports the video it will embed. This will depend upon the codecs installed on your system.

In order to make things universally supported we will need to implement video transcoding.

Possible to also maybe offer an automated YouTube/Vimeo/etc integration?  Undoubtedly videos absorb a ton of my storage space, and it seems somewhat unnecessary (or at least sub-optimal) considering the limitations of embeds and the superior video processing/handling YouTube/Vimeo offer along with free storage.  That would be a huge selling point for IPS to offer such native integration and cost savings to it's customers.  Not to mention it's probably easier/better than IPS trying to tackle the video processing/handling and limitations.

Edited by Clover13

Just now, Clover13 said:

That would be a huge selling point for IPS to offer such native integration and cost savings to it's customers.

As long as it's completely optional. I don't want my content uploaded to any Google service, not even YouTube. I'd rather pay a few dollars each month to store the raw files on S3 or some other storage solution, where I'm in full control.

Just now, Runar said:

As long as it's completely optional. I don't want my content uploaded to any Google service, not even YouTube. I'd rather pay a few dollars each month to store the raw files on S3 or some other storage solution, where I'm in full control.

Absolutely, not a forced integration, just an optional one.  As an aside, what kind of cost do you see going to S3.  A few dollars for how much video?  Video files are generally huge and if you're storing a lot of them, I'd imagine it would be more than a few dollars a month on S3, no?

7 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

As an aside, what kind of cost do you see going to S3.  A few dollars for how much video?  Video files are generally huge and if you're storing a lot of them, I'd imagine it would be more than a few dollars a month on S3, no?

The members of my community are not really sharing lots of video, so storage is not (yet) an issue. If they were, I'd probably be more willing to use a third party video hosting service as you're right about the potential costs.

My humble S3 usage rarely costs more than $5 a month, so in my case I feel it's definitely worth it.

13 hours ago, Runar said:

The members of my community are not really sharing lots of video, so storage is not (yet) an issue. If they were, I'd probably be more willing to use a third party video hosting service as you're right about the potential costs.

My humble S3 usage rarely costs more than $5 a month, so in my case I feel it's definitely worth it.

If you decide to start transcoding and serving video files over S3, your costs can be substantially higher than $5/month unless you're only getting a very small amount of traffic every month.

S3 egress bandwidth prices are not cheap and not really a cost efficient means of serving large media files like videos at scale.

Video transcoding services are also expensive to utilize.

This is not something the average forum admin can generally afford, unfortunately.

Edited by Makoto