"Show replies" flash popup

Morrigan

So this really drives me batty and I think it needs to be fixed, especially with the mobile app coming. I'll start with the suggestion THEN I will explain why I believe its valid.

When you click the "show X replies" in the flash message this should include YOUR OWN REPLIES!

Now for the explanation:

IPS prides itself (and it has been said many times by people like @Matt and @bfarber ) that conversations are linear. "We don't fully ignore posts to give context" thus why ignored posts show up as "ignored" instead of fully disappearing. Its something that is regularly quoted as to why there aren't threaded replies (like on reddit) and whatnot.

Well.... lets be honest, that's only 90% true with the way that the show replies popup works.

TBF, I'm not looking for a topic to tell me when I'm the one to have replied but hear me out:

Someone replies to a post I'm in on my desktop. Another person replies, etc. I have to go mobile (going to work, whatever) I reply. There are other replies. I reply again. Now not a bad thing but I get back to my PC and I want to review all the replies that have been posted and see the new stuff I haven't seen. I hit "show X replies" well I see all of the replies.... that aren't mine. So now that linear context thing that is so avidly explained as being important goes out the window while I'm reviewing 5-6 replies to a thread I have been posting to and I have to now "fully refresh" the page to see the true linear context, which includes my posts.

It sometimes feels silly to load those replies (because its faster in most cases) and only to get half of the replies if you've been posting back and forth with some people. You can't read back up to verify your facts unless you refresh, it also botches pagination.

I'm sure this is more complicated then it seems (because you obviously don't want it polling for the users own posts specifically) but there should be a way to see "not by user... now just load all posts between user and now". I don't know. The fact that it never loads your own posts has always seemed janky to me.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:00 AM, Morrigan said:

I'm sure this is more complicated then it seems (because you obviously don't want it polling for the users own posts specifically) but there should be a way to see "not by user... now just load all posts between user and now". I don't know. The fact that it never loads your own posts has always seemed janky to me.

It would actually be super easy to implement - they just need to remove the check for author != loggedIn()->member_id in checkForNewReplies (just removing part of a single line). The only other consequence of doing this is that you'll get "1 new reply" toasts for your own replies if you have it open in multiple tabs/browsers, but I think that isn't a bad thing.