Community

chromaniac

Has anyone migrated from XF to Invision in recent times?

I was just wondering if anyone here has made the switch in recent times. How was the experience. How is IC working for you? And most importantly, why did you decide to switch. I have been thinking about doing it for a while. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! 

Posted (edited)

lack of development mostly. there has not been a major feature update in more than a year i believe. and there is not even a public roadmap for the next update. i mean sure the software is stable and bugs are being fixed and i am not even required to pay to have access to anti-spam engine like on invision (from what i remember from my ipb days)... i am just not sure where is the platform headed. one thing that does annoy me about xenforo is that developers have mostly ignored some of the most requested features. addon ecosystem is a mess. third party developers launch a cool addon, price it high and after a few months disappear. the whole ecosystem seems like a hobbyist project. documentation is mostly terrible. if you are lucky, you would find a random post on the support forum from one of the devs which basically fixes the issue you have been facing for like two years. 

let me be clear, i am at a stage where xenforo has been working excellently for me personally. performance is great even on a low-end server. i have managed to find solutions/workarounds for most of my requirements. it's just not fun anymore. my forum is old, but the audience is limited so i have the advantage of being experimental with it. 

Edited by chromaniac

21 minutes ago, chromaniac said:

lack of development mostly. there has not been a major feature update in more than a year i believe. and there is not even a public roadmap for the next update.

On TAZ you can read that same feeling from many Xf costumers

https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/are-you-excited-for-ipb-4-5.153076/post-1153592

https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/want-to-test-drive-invision-community-4-5.153120/post-1154037

https://invisionalpha.com/topic/88-a-question-from-a-current-xf-21-user/?tab=comments#comment-207

The main worry for them seems to be the converter, as is a little slow or something like that

I'm happy to answer any questions. You could also try out a demo to get up to speed on the changes on Invision Community up to v4.4. You're also welcome to check out our Invision Community 4.5 alpha site here.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:52 AM, chromaniac said:

the whole ecosystem seems like a hobbyist project.

I think you're going to start to see a growing distinction between Invision Community and other legacy forums. 

While there are plenty of hobbyist forums on IPS as well, you'll see that the future of the platform - its features, vision, and audience - is going to be driven by "professional" communities who treat it a little more seriously.  This won't be an overnight change, but you're already starting to see enterprise-level features like Zapier Integration and Search Insights being built into Invision Community.  As IPS develops more enterprise-level features, it elevates all of our abilities -- whether you're a hobbyist, professional, brand, or corporate -- to compete at another level.   

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chromaniac said:

just curious... where is the post number here... without it, it is pretty hard to tell what page number i am on. 😕

Was removed while ago. However In the marketplace there is a mod to restore that functionality. 

Edited by DawPi