WordPress and IPB integration ... why not?

Hello,

I'm still wondering how it is that the BEST forum software still hasn't figured out how to INTEGRATE its forums into Wordpress nice and neatly?  When one considers that 30% of the web runs on WordPress ... it ought to be a NO-BRAINER to have a seamless integration?

Look at how XenForo has a nice tight integration?  And there is no way that Xenforo can top Invision... or can it?

https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/addons/xpress

Honestly, will someone please create a NICE tight INTEGRATION between two great software pieces?

Thanks,

BB

It's not as if WordPress is going away ...

https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/WordPress

WordPress and IPB integration ... why not?

My two cents: because bridging two independent software products is usually a bad idea. You have 3 pieces of software to deal with: Software A, software B and the third-party bridge. It might be called “seamless”, but it never really is. Anytime you install an update to software A or B things can break and you need to hope that the third-party offering the bridge can fix it in time. And since they are usually small companies, they might simply stop offering the bridge altogether in the future and then you are completely screwed. 

Personally, I use either WordPress or the Invision Community Suite, never both. If I had a WordPress installation already, I would convert it all to Pages. After all, that’s the benefit of having a Community Suite. It being seamless is not just marketing claim in this case. 

Edited by opentype

On 5/8/2020 at 1:34 AM, opentype said:

My two cents: because bridging two independent software products is usually a bad idea. You have 3 pieces of software to deal with: Software A, software B and the third-party bridge. It might be called “seamless”, but it never really is. Anytime you install an update to software A or B things can break and you need to hope that the third-party offering the bridge can fix it in time. And since they are usually small companies, they might simply stop offering the bridge altogether in the future and then you are completely screwed. 

I get it ... but if Invision actually provided it themselves ... can you imagine the opening you'd have?  30% of the web is on WordPress based sites!   It's not as if it's going to go away .. it's really a no brainer as far as setting up an entire revenue stream!

On 5/7/2020 at 10:34 PM, opentype said:

Personally, I use either WordPress or the Invision Community Suite, never both. If I had a WordPress installation already, I would convert it all to Pages. After all, that’s the benefit of having a Community Suite. It being seamless is not just marketing claim in this case. 

No, its not going away but really the only reason people use Wordpress is because its a free alternative to a CMS platform and has more commerce models then Joomla or Drupal (other free CMS platforms). If you already have a paid CMS platform (IPS) then Wordpress is just a messy additive that isn't necessary.

Take it from someone who personally tried to bridge Wordpess and IPB together for years... not worth the headache. 

I finally switched fully to IPB after using Wordpress for 15 years (no joke) and while it was a hard adjustment at first, now that I am very familiar with the back-end of IPB and how to make things function... I am thrilled.

Wordpress is powerful, but not if you want a community. I tried using BB Press and BuddyPress with Wordpress as a community component last year and it was a nightmare. I tried to gamify my community and it slowed the site down due to all the processes. Mess. 

IPB blows Wordpress out of the water in terms of community functionality. 

13 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

IPB blows Wordpress out of the water in terms of community functionality. 

The problem is that I have THOUSANDS of pages -- in excess of 100,000+ pages of content across a dozen or so sites.  It's not gonna happen.  Besides I have perfect GTMetrix scores for speed, etc.  

It was something that Invision had already set up before ... it used to be on several football team sites.  It was an "enterprise" solution only.

1 hour ago, BostonBob said:

The problem is that I have THOUSANDS of pages -- in excess of 100,000+ pages of content across a dozen or so sites.  It's not gonna happen.  Besides I have perfect GTMetrix scores for speed, etc.  

It was something that Invision had already set up before ... it used to be on several football team sites.  It was an "enterprise" solution only.

Trust me I understand haha. My site had 35,000 news stories all published in Wordpress (that still exist there btw, I didn't convert anything over).

Ultimately I decided I wanted my site to function as a community and not a Wordpress site trying to offer community functionality. It was HARD for me to realign my expectations and goals, but once I banged my head against the wall enough trying to make Wordpress marry IPB, and just took a chance on IPB 100%, I was actually legit blown away and have been super excited about how things are unfolding now. 

In the end, you have to define what your ultimate goal is... and what you are willing to sacrifice for the greater good to get there. Sending you good vibes!