Community

Google May 2020 Algorithm Update

Anyone noticing organic search traffic changes with this latest google algorithm update. Most of my sites have had the best March and April ever, reaching their highest ever recorded organic traffic, which I attributed to more people online and home bound with the pandemic. However, it seems to be rightsizing back to pre-pandemic rates and going down the past week. Just curious what everyone else is seeing.

4 hours ago, GTServices said:

It'll take about 2 weeks to complete so I'm hoping for a turnaround by end of month.

Do you feel that the current results are not where they’ll be after the 2 week completion? I don’t know enough about algorithm updates, but see a dramatic change within the last 2 weeks or so...down.

Every site is not the same.

Back in March, Google made some changes after the WHO made their "pandemic" announcement. Basically, a lot of traffic went to higher authority sites. 

We took a hit.

Google made changes again mid-April, our traffic was back.

Then on May 5th, traffic dropped again due to the May 4th Google Core Update.

The last time they had a Core Update was back in January.

Since then our traffic has been down.

There will be more chatter by end of week as to what this update is about. Early chatter suggest this may be as big as the Medic update.

I usually wait a few weeks before pulling my hair out. I lost a lot during the Medic update. 😉

My guess is that Google is slowly getting back to normal. As close as they possibly can without losing focus on COVID or the upcoming election. 

All of these changes is about controlling misinformation.

• 2 weeks later...

We are not alone.

Problems with Google May 2020 Update ??

stackexchange got hit hard...

avsforum.com got hit hard...

Many UGC Communities (forums) got hit...

communities-dropping-traffic.png.4018454a9d8eda5a2b84d8f9860ff88c.png

Pinterest posts displaying everywhere...

You can read more about it here...

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-may-2020-core-update-mess-up-29508.html

Have you seen any improvements/declines on your end?

We took a hit. Traffic still down. 

I saw significant traffic increases from March to April and then after April 21st a steep decline. Below is quantcast data from two of my IPS sites on monthly uniques where you can see the decline. Almost as if the pandemic spiked traffic and now its going back to pre-pandemic levels or lower.

image.thumb.png.9e86637ddd9e829f41016ea309363fa4.png

image.thumb.png.da7351e09c18cbcaf54586bfc8dfd577.png