Community

Spare a moment to discuss our lord and savior, Tapatalk?

For the past couple of years, It seems that our community members are falling for this incredible wonder, that makes their lives oh so easy and careless, gives them complete and utter freedom and all sorts of other rubbish nonsense, called Tapatalk.
Doing some research I found that it has been around since pretty much forever, but no matter how much I searched (I might suck at searching), I couldn't find one place discussing Tapatalk's ramifications on one's website.

Does it redirect traffic to their own site thus crippling our numbers?
Does it show it's own ads, hence blocking our members from clicking our own ads and making some form of money?
Does it use our users' data, even if they never signed up through the app and only use to view our forums?
And all-in-all, IS IS actually good/beneficial for our site from a monetary/business point of view or is it just sucking data from us so it can display it though their platform, and make all dem monies?

It’s been spoken to death on here, I’d recommend using google search or adding quote marks when searching. “Tapatalk”.

I think most of us ditched it after V3, as V4 came with a responsive design, therefore removing the necessity of Tapatalk all together. But as you can imagine this caused up roar on some site, even more so as there was a period tapa didn’t work at all with v4 for a while.  

I hated it, but so many depended on it for some reason, but I took the decision to dump it quickly and explain to all as to why it was done. Now, no one remembers it.

@opentype @Dean_

I may have not been clear enough. I know there isn't really a NEED for Tapatalk, especially now with the native IPS app coming. But we have just moved our community from VB, which was absolutely heinous with dealing with mobile.
Problem is, everybody already got used to it, and just keep using it by force of inertia.

I guess my big question is "Should I drop Tapatalk support because it's bad for the site's owners, or leave because it's harmless?". 

also, @Dean_ can I be rude and ask for links to those discussions or some sort of lead to help look for them?

@Joy Rex WOW! So much yes!!! my thoughts exactly.

25 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

@opentype @Dean_

I may have not been clear enough. I know there isn't really a NEED for Tapatalk, especially now with the native IPS app coming. But we have just moved our community from VB, which was absolutely heinous with dealing with mobile.
Problem is, everybody already got used to it, and just keep using it by force of inertia.

I guess my big question is "Should I drop Tapatalk support because it's bad for the site's owners, or leave because it's harmless?". 

also, @Dean_ can I be rude and ask for links to those discussions or some sort of lead to help look for them?

@Joy Rex WOW! So much yes!!! my thoughts exactly.

Sure, if they’re still viewable I’ll link to them. Some may not completely relate to this topic but worth a read.

It’s hard to say whether or not to drop tapa, you know your community, but it was the best thing I ever did.

Edited by Dean_

@Pavel Chernitsky: I stopped using Tapatalk.

Why? Updates seemed very buggy and rushed.

They tended to take their time with releasing them, some was quick and others took quite some time. Neither made much difference, as it became a joke and I started having to put in support e-mails. I eventually called it "it" when the script caused issues with my VPS server.

I am now using a webview app developed by @Jon Erickson.

As he's also created a application which works with Firebase, so my users now get whatever notifications they would like and I can even send manual ones if I so wish.

It might be worth reaching out.

I want to make it perfectly clear, I don't mind my users preferring to use Tapatalk. I told them multiple time that we DO NOT support anything in the app outside of integration. And so, any problem they have with that p.o.s, they're more than welcome to submit a ticket to Tapatalk themselves.

I honestly don't give half a crock of poo If they want to use that buggy and insecure excuse for an app (talking from experience), it's totally their prerogative. And if they want it, I'm happy to provide the option. Up until it comes to bite us in the ass. So if it hurts our income in any way (we're completely free and are barely keeping our heads above water), I'm kicking it out so fast it'll cause a sonic boom. 

So I'm looking for any data on whether it does or doesn't "leech" our traffic and ad clicks.

23 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

I want to make it perfectly clear, I don't mind my users preferring to use Tapatalk. I told them multiple time that we DO NOT support anything in the app outside of integration. And so, any problem they have with that p.o.s, they're more than welcome to submit a ticket to Tapatalk themselves.

I honestly don't give half a crock of poo If they want to use that buggy and insecure excuse for an app (talking from experience), it's totally their prerogative. And if they want it, I'm happy to provide the option. Up until it comes to bite us in the ass. So if it hurts our income in any way (we're completely free and are barely keeping our heads above water), I'm kicking it out so fast it'll cause a sonic boom. 

So I'm looking for any data on whether it does or doesn't "leech" our traffic and ad clicks.

The biggest issue by still allowing your users to use TapaCrap is you'll have to update the addon that allows TapaCrap integration. Also, I would stop using TapaCrap as it has been found to be insecure in some instances, so that alone was enough for me to convince the minority of my users to switch to just using the site on Mobile (make sure if you are using anything but the default theme that your custom theme works well on mobile) as there was more functionality to be had that way vs TapaPoo.

Sell the mobile version as an enhancement to your already great forums (they're great right? Of course they are!) to your community and eventually everyone will get on board - maybe even mention the officially supported IPS app coming soon as a further incentive to those who don't like the mobile version for whatever reason.

Their history is quite shady. You can find most of their misgivings discussed on theadminzone.com - put a search for tapatalk there. I am not keeping up with them lately, but before that they did all these things you mention (forcing ads, presenting your content as theirs, overridding your registration so users join them instead of you) and quite a bit more. 

2 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

Sell the mobile version as an enhancement to your already great forums (they're great right? Of course they are!) to your community and eventually everyone will get on board - maybe even mention the officially supported IPS app coming soon as a further incentive to those who don't like the mobile version for whatever reason.

They know all of that, we've put a big emphasis on having a very open discussion with our members about features/bugs and upcoming developments, so they're well aware of the app's coming (You better not f*** it up, @IPSTeam, there's people counting on ya 🙂).
Including what @jair101 said, the more I read up on Crapatalk ( 😛 I liked you tapacrap, but I think this ones rolls of your tounge better), the more I'm getting convinced to get rid of it as if it was the plague. Which it may very well be, I've still got some stuff to go through.

I'll be plain. I've left communities that have tapatalk. I've never had a good experience with their app. Websites that use it annoy the hell out of me because I feel like every time I open my mobile browser I'm being inundated with "You should get the app... its soo much better than browsing this site." I also feel like I lose a lot of content with it.

I'm looking forward to the IPS app. I'm on the fence on whether I'm going to use it personally but this is primarily because my site is over 70% Pages so I'll have to see that integration a lot more closely before I make a true decision.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, Something broke for us too lately, more than once. Latest stupid bug is that a "Like" in Tapatalk for some reason translates into a custom reaction I've created and not the default "Like". I sometimes feel like Tapatalk are kind of like apple - just dragging their users through more and more crap to see when they break. 

CAN'T. WAIT. FOR. THE NATIVE. IPS. APP. JUST CAN'T.

• 4 weeks later...

I can hear the frustrations and definitely agree with most of them as its a pain in the arse when it goes down alot, however it has been our alternative to the future of reviewing most sites - via an App. I think the biggest gripe i have with these apps is more around it all centering around just the forums when IPS has grew into something so much bigger. I'm assuming the IPS app in early testing right now only supports Forums too?

On 5/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, Joey_M said:

am now using a webview app developed by @Jon Erickson.

I think if it is then this seems like a good shout many are in a chicken and egg state that people want to interact via Apps and other efficient (lazy) ways but culturally are put off a lot by having to open a browser on their phone. The mind boggles but that's the evolution of people these days.

One of my internal goals is for people that join us to see it as their 'Home' and stop calling it the 'Forums' because of the other fantastic features this place can offer. Hell, just to hear them say 'Website' would be huge progress.

P.S. Currently they won't upgrade the tapatalk plugin until 4.5 comes out of beta access and see more people using it, even though many of us are transferring to it via upgrades, etc. So a bunch of people now can't see the forums via those entry points as of this post.

There’s absolutely no reason to use Tapa. It was there in the early days to fill a gap which never truly worked well, and has always been plagued with issues. Since 4.x.x we’ve got our responsive layout. We now have two apps by IPS which makes Tapa even more redundant. Drop the 3rd party app and you’ll have a smooth experience.

We removed Tapatalk when we realised just how insecure it is.

If you grant access to Tapatalk via selected groups then Tapatalk caches the information about who can access the forums. If you move someone out of the groups that have access you will find that Tapatalk continues to give access because it has cached the information. From Tapatalk (March 2020)

After you update the Guest permission, that update is not being passed to Tapatalk App right away. We try to avoid constant data requests to your forum getting updates like that so it doesn't overrun your server nor slowing down the App. The guest permission update synchronizes with the App when the App user clears the cache on the App or unfollow your forum and re-search it to access the forum again in the App.

Reading the above carefully, it appears that the server manager cannot clear a cache to resolve the problem - it relies upon the user to clear the cache and/or unfollow. How do they think that is going to work with someone that we want to ban?

I no longer care whether they fix this or not -- it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of security design and I won't knowingly touch any product that has been shown to have been designed to this standard.

John

1 hour ago, Dean_ said:

There’s absolutely no reason to use Tapa. It was there in the early days to fill a gap which never truly worked well, and has always been plagued with issues. Since 4.x.x we’ve got our responsive layout. We now have two apps by IPS which makes Tapa even more redundant. Drop the 3rd party app and you’ll have a smooth experience.

I totally agree with you. I suppose what I should've phrased better is how to culturally change the ways people want to browse your site. I've done some surveys with our members and it tends to show that they would rather have simple Apps to utilise even though i've tried to explain to them the amount of clicks they have to press virtually the same. Its never been about the speed, more about the accessibility. Weird, I know - heres hoping Web Push and a potential Webview App could satisfy our people.

35 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I totally agree with you. I suppose what I should've phrased better is how to culturally change the ways people want to browse your site. I've done some surveys with our members and it tends to show that they would rather have simple Apps to utilise even though i've tried to explain to them the amount of clicks they have to press virtually the same. Its never been about the speed, more about the accessibility. Weird, I know - heres hoping Web Push and a potential Webview App could satisfy our people.

There're some very weird loyal fans of Tapa, though the more recent generation wouldn't have a clue in what it is.

14 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

There're some very weird loyal fans of Tapa, though the more recent generation wouldn't have a clue in what it is.

I find its not that they're loyal to Tapa. They couldn't care less what it says, they'd just rather open a responsive app. The new invision app would be perfect if other features than just forums were accessible via it. Its good IPS seems to be going in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I turned Tapatalk off and now I have members coming in droves wondering why it doesn't work anymore!  I mentioned to them that we have new, responsive themes and the forum is completely useful while mobile but the main problem I hear is that they use Tapatalk for all their other favorite forums and they like having them all in one place!  So now what?  Should I turn it back on?  Is it really a security risk? 

2 hours ago, RocketStang said:

So, I turned Tapatalk off and now I have members coming in droves wondering why it doesn't work anymore!  I mentioned to them that we have new, responsive themes and the forum is completely useful while mobile but the main problem I hear is that they use Tapatalk for all their other favorite forums and they like having them all in one place!  So now what?  Should I turn it back on?  Is it really a security risk? 

Stick by you guns and give details as to why. Copy all the complaints in these posts. It's all about giving your members the best experience possible, and at least by using a mobile browser they can access the whole site and do more thing on it.