Community

Adlago

Facebook - How Long Will It Live?

Life on Facebook  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I generally dislike Facebook. That is why I will probably get a lot of denials on this topic.
But, well - life is what we have around.
Last month, I allowed myself to use Facebook quite often - I'm horrible ... So much nonsense ... So much false initiative by brainless people ... Politics and anti-politics to the point of going to the toilet ...
Is this the social status of millions of people ...
What do you think?

I used to have hundreds of friends, mostly from school/work. I’m from the generation where you had to have a school .edu account to sign up. I gave up Facebook almost 3 years ago, last electionish timeframe, and haven’t looked back. There is one thing about having a healthy debate on differences. It’s an entirely different story when debates turn into defamation and overall nastiness. Nothing productive. 

When any of my family members start a sentence with “I read this on Facebook” I instantly tune them out. My mom sends me links to Facebook and/or general social media sites all the time. She doesn’t get the message when I reply to her text “UNSUBSCRIBE”. 

The only use I have for Facebook/Twitter  are the enabling of social media logins. 

Posted (edited)

How long it will remain is an unknown - I suppose the answer would be for as long as people use it.  Personally, I don't use it; I used to, but I got out way before the scandals of data mining and selling became public knowledge - whether I escaped the fallout I suppose I will never know.  I believe that Facebook is responsible for the dumbing down of people, allowing them to believe that showing an image of their lunch was somehow an amazing and enlightening experience, both for the poster and those who gravitated to the image with a flurry of likes and positive comments; how low can you go before you need to get a shovel and start digging.

It's probably also the reason why forums are really up against it because people's attention span and ability to engage in meaningful discussions has been diluted over a period of years that it may never be possible for them to 'up their game' and really engage with other people on an intelligible level.  Social Media is anything but social - it's a den of iniquity for scammers, fake news distributors, radicalisation and many other qualities that would otherwise be relegated to the garbage bin.

How long will it live?  It already has lived far too long and the sooner the world is rid of it, the better.

Edited by Davyc
Spelling lol

It'll evolve as most products do. It's still pulling in millions of active users, it has ties with Instagram and WhatsApp so I can't see it going anywhere for a long while.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Aiwa said:

When any of my family members start a sentence with “I read this on Facebook” I instantly tune them out. My mom sends me links to Facebook and/or general social media sites all the time. She doesn’t get the message when I reply to her text “UNSUBSCRIBE”.

Same here. I get all the conspiracy theories and post screenshots in texts. from my own mother...

I wish there was a close integration with facebook groups specifically though. Post in forum and groups simultaneously. 

Edited by AlexWebsites

Personally It can disappear now or preferable 2 weeks ago. The whole aspect of Facebook has changed drastically from its beginnings to present. I agree with @Aiwa where good old fashion debate has been flushed down the toilet defamation and overall nastiness. I to once had a large friends list.... Then I started really looking it over. My account slimmed down when I removed about 400 people I either never Knew Or just don't remember. The Crap that people will allow to spew from their keyboard is totally ridiculous and not worth the time reading.

To be honest the only real reason I keep my account is when my son and daughter drop new photo's of the grand kids.

1 minute ago, Woodsman said:

Personally It can disappear now or preferable 2 weeks ago. The whole aspect of Facebook has changed drastically from its beginnings to present. I agree with @Aiwa where good old fashion debate has been flushed down the toilet defamation and overall nastiness. I to once had a large friends list.... Then I started really looking it over. My account slimmed down when I removed about 400 people I either never Knew Or just don't remember. The Crap that people will allow to spew from their keyboard is totally ridiculous and not worth the time reading.

To be honest the only real reason I keep my account is when my son and daughter drop new photo's of the grand kids.

Just a thought..... I could replace Facebook with a Grand Pad.... LOL

Posted (edited)

If not FB then something else. I dislike the place, yet use it daily. That's the paradox. It demonstrates (to me at least) that what FB provides is both needed and wanted by many. If disliked by a large percentage of them. Long before FB the French had state run Minitel which served much the same purpose, save the histrionics and mis/disinformation. If FB disappears, and I suspect it will, something else will pop up. I suspect we will be moving more towards peer to peer networks with the introduction of 5G and beyond - so this whole notion of a big fat proprietary server joining everything together might well find itself out on a limb. But who really knows? And anybody claiming to, including Zuckerberg, are talking out of their portal 😏

Edited by christopher-w
typo

Posted (edited)

Facebook (like Twitter) is a necessary evil. 

Diversifying traffic sources is important these days - especially since Google started making so many changes to their algo.

They are part of our traffic channels. eg. organic search, social media, email, etc

To answer your question, they'll be around for many years. They are not going anywhere.

Social media (specifically facebook) drives more traffic to site vs our transactional email. But, that's because we have over 1 million followers (across 2 large fb pages).

Edited by GTServices