Remove members from any and all secondary groups

Hey there,

Is it possible to remove every member from whatever secondary group they may be in? I'm finding that if they join my subscription (ad free), they may still see ads because some belong to a secondary group they were placed in ages ago before this (as a result, they still see ads as a premium subscriber).

Not sure what the best method is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

If you want to prune it from all members without any additional work just run this query:

UPDATE core_members SET mgroup_others = '';

If you have prefix in your sql database just add it before 'core_members'.

Before any manual operation on live sql please make a BACKUP first.

Edited by DawPi

1 hour ago, DawPi said:

If you want to prune it from all members without any additional work just run this query:

UPDATE core_members SET mgroup_others = '';

If you have prefix in your sql database just add it before 'core_members'.

Before any manual operation on live sql please make a BACKUP first.

Ahh thank you! IPB said they don't recommend running manual queries and to proceed with caution. That made me a bit nervous (though I understand where they're coming from).

I'm nervous to do this and something happens. I do have daily backups tho. I should confirm. 

They recommend doing this manually. However, that means 2500 pages to sort through.

@DawPi thoughts? 

You can also do this with Group Promotions. You'll have to wait a bit for it to fully run if you have a very large community.

You just put it at the end. Leave all of the options blank (so it chooses everyone) except the "remove secondary groups" one. Check all of the groups for secondary groups.

Make sure to remove it when its done otherwise if you add secondary groups it will remove them later.

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

You can also do this with Group Promotions. You'll have to wait a bit for it to fully run if you have a very large community.

You just put it at the end. Leave all of the options blank (so it chooses everyone) except the "remove secondary groups" one. Check all of the groups for secondary groups.

Make sure to remove it when its done otherwise if you add secondary groups it will remove them later.

Great little tip! 

The problem here is that when people subscribe they should right away not see ads. But if they are in a secondary group they still do and it's just not a good UX when you're offering a product and they don't get what they pay for right away heh.

How come what you mentioned will take a while versus instantly? @Morrigan

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

Ok I tried it! 

The only settings I changed was selecting all groups under 'Remove Secondary Groups' 

Otherwise I left everything as default/all. Is that right? 

3 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Yup, just make sure its the last one in the group promotions list (so it will just continuously run) and I don't know the size of your site but if its small shouldn't take more than probably 20ish minutes larger communities it could take longer.

@breatheheavy

What a genius idea!! I believe it's working 🙂

Thank you so much. Great little tip to fix this (versus going through 2500 pages of usernames to manually remove them). Thank you.