JPG Image Uploads Too Compressed

Here is what's going on.

JPG image before upload: 285kb
Uploaded: 83kb

The quality is really bad, looks too compressed and pixelated.

-----------------------------------------------

PNG image before upload: 263kb
Uploaded: 296kb

This image looks just as clear online as it does on my PC.

Is there something built into IPS that compresses JPG images only? 

Thank to anyone that has some info about this.

You can edit the compression settings in the files section of the ACP. JPG and PNG are handled independently depending on your graphics engine. 

It’s also normal that you see wildly different results. PNGs can only get very small if colors are dropped and that needs to be handled manually. The web graphics engines hardly ever do that, so PNGs stay large when being processes—or even got bigger. 

Edited by opentype

Just now, opentype said:

You can edit the compression settings in the files section of the ACP. JPG and PNG are handled independently depending on your graphics engine. 

It’s also normal that you see wildly different results. PNGs can only get very small if colors are dropped and that needs to be handled manually. The web graphic engine hardly ever do that, so PNGs stay large when being processes—or even got bigger. 

I used the website tinypng to compress my pngs, which took them from 300kb down to around 80-90kb, and they still look great. 

I KNEW I saw a setting for image compression somewhere in ACP, I was looking for it earlier and couldn't find it. Thanks for the info. I have now found it. I will mess with the JPG settings and see how the results vary. Thank you sir.

Overall, I like IPB compressing my images so that they reduce site load.

However, there are instances when I don't want IPB to compress. My logo for instance. I had to pay my developer to include the logo a different way versus the standard theme upload because it would reduce the quality so greatly. 

I'm also having trouble getting my listings page to show the logo in hi-res. It compresses it and looks low quality. I turned the .png settings in Files to 9/9 yet it still looks ick. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated @opentype

https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/index.php?/memberships/

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

I'm also having trouble getting my listings page to show the logo in hi-res. It compresses it and looks low quality. I turned the .png settings in Files to 9/9 yet it still looks ick. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated @opentype

If you mean that Aries image, that is caused by your thumbnail settings for the record image of the Pages database. You would need to raise those values and upload the image again. 

Edited by opentype