Give moderators the ability to restrict private messages

CoffeeCake

We'd like to empower moderators to restrict private messaging as a consequence, yet still allow content to be posted/moderated in public areas of the site. Right now, a moderated member needs moderator approval before their public content is displayed, however these members can still use private messaging if it's otherwise enabled for their user groups. That's not always a right fit.

What we'd like is a new consequence option when issuing a warning that would allow us to select whether or not private messaging is enabled for that individual without having to grant access to the admin cp. We don't want to grant access to moderators to access the entire member record, and only give them the ability to enable/disable private message access as a consequence surrounding the warning system.

So, in other words, add the bolded option to warnings please:

• Moderate Content until dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss, indefinitely
  • Restrict from posting private messages until dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss, indefinitely
  • Restrict from posting public content until dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss, indefinitely
  • Suspend from accessing the site until dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss, indefinitely

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

any news about this feature? It would be extremely helpful to remove the messenger to certain users who would abuse of it.

If that is not possible, is there any other way to remove the messenger to certain users?

Thank you!

Edited by Balto

Yes, you can disable it via ACP if you are an administrator, yet the request I made was to make it an available option when a moderator issues a warning and for a period of time. The option in the ACP is in effect until an administrator reenables manually.

That functionality still does not exist.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:41 AM, CoffeeCake said:

Yes, you can disable it via ACP if you are an administrator, yet the request I made was to make it an available option when a moderator issues a warning and for a period of time. The option in the ACP is in effect until an administrator reenables manually.

That functionality still does not exist.

I like this as well. 

What if you created an "admin" group that only had access to basic permissions that included this? I personally have done that on my own community. They are technically admins, but only have a handful of permissions checked. 

But if you are looking for it to be done in the front-end, perhaps that'd be a good plugin? IDK IDK. Thoughts y'all? 

21 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

What if you created an "admin" group that only had access to basic permissions that included this? I personally have done that on my own community. They are technically admins, but only have a handful of permissions checked. 

There is insufficient limitation to prevent the viewing of details of a member and give them access within the ACP. We operate on the principle of least privilege, so knowing a member's name, e-mail address, etc. is not necessary to moderate the forums.

And, there isn't the "disable for XXX days" type option we have for other actions, such as moderation, banning, etc.

Edited by CoffeeCake