Can someone please help me?

Hello,

I was supposed to have my forum updated by the software people, but they keep asking me to do some technical things and I couldn't figure it out and then the world went crazy and my son and I both got sick, so I didn't get it done yet. Now my forum is down for some reason and the software people don't offer support, because it's old software, but they did suggest to look in the cache/sql folder. I just don't know how to do that.

The forum is located here: http://himstedtheaven.net/forum/

Can anyone here guess what might be wrong and how can I fix it?

This is difficult to determine. You are probably using version 3.4.x.
This driver error can be caused by:
- error in conf_global php file
- htaccess file with bad rules
- missing files
- database problem
etc.
Ask your host company for an opinion.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

As mentioned, since it's an old version it's not really supported, but you can find the error being thrown in the /cache/sql_error_latest.cgi file (may not be exact name).

Yes, this is the exact file name.
But the more accurate guideline, because I don't think he's doing this well, is this:
- open the cache folder
- Download the file sql_error_latest.cgi
- open this  file with notepad++, or other
- if he wants to share content here, or upload this file here.

It looks like they may have upgraded you to mysql 8.x and the old version you are on will not work with that, you need to have them downgrade that to mysql 5.6 if you want the old version to function.  Again this may not be 100% accurate, but a quick (blind) look at the site and it looks like that may be the case.

9 hours ago, Majbritt_merged said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I tried looking for the sql_error_latest.cgi file in the cache folder, but can't find anything like that in any of the cache folders, I can see.

I will try calling the server people.

Did you look into what I mentioned? it takes 5 minutes to ask your host that question, "what version of mysql is in use" do that if you want your site fixed, and go from there. 🙂  

On 3/29/2020 at 6:29 AM, Rhett said:

Did you look into what I mentioned? it takes 5 minutes to ask your host that question, "what version of mysql is in use" do that if you want your site fixed, and go from there. 🙂  

Thanks,

I have talked to the hosting company and they say it's mysql 5.something, but the server had not been updated for many years, so they switched me over to a cheaper one with service, that has mysql 5.6 and when the move is done, I hope the forum will work.

• 2 weeks later...

And now the server people realized that the website is too big for the server they suggested themselves and have stopped the migration. I should buy a bigger server or delete files. Deleting files makes sense, as I have a forum going 13 years back, but I can't get to the forum and delete old pages, so I'm stuck unless I want to move it to a bigger server.

The server people were never able to figure out what the problem was. It wasn't because the server was updated to mysql 8, because it was still on 5.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:51 PM, Makoto said:

If you're unable to figure it out yourself, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to take a look at it for you and provide a quote if there's anything complicated that needs resolved.

I have sent you a message.

Edited by Majbritt_merged

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have an old version of the forum that I was supposed to have updated, but before I got to it, the forum stopped working. Invision don't know what is wrong although they did have a suggestion, but it appears not to be the problem according to the hosting company. But the hosting company doesn't know either and wanted to move the forum, but then they couldn't and I lost connection to the server for a while. Now I got that fixed and can now get to the server again, but I still don't know what is wrong with the forum.

The forum is here: http://www.himstedtheaven.com/forum

Is there anyone who has any idea what can be the problem? I can of course provide ftp and cpanel access now that it works again.

I do have a somewhat recent back up of the forum on my laptop.

10 minutes ago, Majbritt_merged said:

Hello,

I have an old version of the forum that I was supposed to have updated, but before I got to it, the forum stopped working. Invision don't know what is wrong although they did have a suggestion, but it appears not to be the problem according to the hosting company. But the hosting company doesn't know either and wanted to move the forum, but then they couldn't and I lost connection to the server for a while. Now I got that fixed and can now get to the server again, but I still don't know what is wrong with the forum.

The forum is here: http://www.himstedtheaven.com/forum

Is there anyone who has any idea what can be the problem? I can of course provide ftp and cpanel access now that it works again.

I do have a somewhat recent back up of the forum on my laptop.

Is the database name and password correct?

You'd need to double check in the config file on the server and compare that to the password and user of the SQL Database.

3 hours ago, Dean_ said:

Is the database name and password correct?

You'd need to double check in the config file on the server and compare that to the password and user of the SQL Database.

And now I have to ask stupid, but how do I do that?

I can get to the SQL Database though cpanel and can see there is some users and that you can change passwords. But how do I check in the config file?

49 minutes ago, Majbritt_merged said:

And now I have to ask stupid, but how do I do that?

I can get to the SQL Database though cpanel and can see there is some users and that you can change passwords. But how do I check in the config file?

Either use FTP or use File Manager in cPanel and go to Public_HTML and if your community is in the root directory find 'conf_global.php' and edit the file and make sure everything is correct.

Also double check that your user has still got access to your database - cPanel > MySQL Databases > Find your database and make sure you have a user under 'Privileged Users'.

Edited by Dean_

1 hour ago, Dean_ said:

Either use FTP or use File Manager in cPanel and go to Public_HTML and if your community is in the root directory find 'conf_global.php' and edit the file and make sure everything is correct.

Also double check that your user has still got access to your database - cPanel > MySQL Databases > Find your database and make sure you have a user under 'Privileged Users'.

Thank you. I will try to look at it tomorrow as it's getting late here in Denmark.

1 hour ago, Adlago said:

Isn't that the same issue?
Didn't find a solution?

Yes, it's the same. The hosting company suggested moving to another server and a week later, they found out they couldn't move to the server, they suggested, and I had to call them on a specific phone number, where they did not answer. I then finally got help through their regular support to cancel the move and fix my ftp access which somehow got messed up during the move. So that is why it has taken so long to try to figure something out.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, Dean_ said:

I have found conf_global.php in the File Manager, but I'm not sure what to do now. When I click on view, I get lots of information and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I see a line that says sql user and then the user name and when I look at mySQL Database that user is listed as privilieged user. It also says sql_pass at one line and a word. Is that the password then? In mySQL Database the password is not listed.

No one had done any changes to this, so I don't know how this problem arised.

1 hour ago, Majbritt_merged said:

I have found conf_global.php in the File Manager, but I'm not sure what to do now. When I click on view, I get lots of information and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I see a line that says sql user and then the user name and when I look at mySQL Database that user is listed as privilieged user. It also says sql_pass at one line and a word. Is that the password then? In mySQL Database the password is not listed.

No one had done any changes to this, so I don't know how this problem arised.

Can you try to get the exact error message? That will help a lot as it will show us where to look for a solution.

I can help you with this. Send me a private message if you want my help.

What version of Ipb are you using by the way?

7 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

Can you try to get the exact error message? That will help a lot as it will show us where to look for a solution.

I can help you with this. Send me a private message if you want my help.

What version of Ipb are you using by the way?

The forum is here: http://himstedtheaven.net/forum/ where you can see the error. I will write you, thanks so much.

59 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Which PHP version does your site have?
You probably use with IPB 3.4.x and should not meet PHP higher than version 5.6.

Check in cPanel - which is the active PHP version.

You might be onto something. PHP version is 7.2.7 it says in phpMyAdmin.

How can I downgrade to 5.6 until I get the forum updated?

1 hour ago, Majbritt_merged said:

The forum is here: http://himstedtheaven.net/forum/ where you can see the error. I will write you, thanks so much.

You are very welcome.

I looked at your error log file and I saw this error message:

The server requested authentication method unknown to the client.

This seems to be a mysql compatiblity issue. Most likely your host is using Mysql 8.0.4.  Default authenticate of MySQL 8.0.4 has changed. Please see this link:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/8.0/en/news-8-0-4.html

You must contact your host to fix this.

15 minutes ago, Majbritt_merged said:

You might be onto something. PHP version is 7.2.7 it says in phpMyAdmin.

How can I downgrade to 5.6 until I get the forum updated?

You should have an option in the PHP  in cPanel - you now see the latest update for your account, but your server should have older versions as well - search for something like Manage PHP and switch to a lower version.
You can try and add this line to your htaccess file

AddType application/x-httpd-php56 .php