Member Map

Hi Jeff,

As I said in the PM, Both your sites use the exact same code, so the reason for one working and one not must be on Googles side.

You could try using the working API key from ezteammom on hotairbaloonist, it should work (assuming the key is for any site).

p.s. you have a hell of a lot of custom markers! You'll definitely see performance improvements in v2.0.0

I think I did that. I am not sure since there are several settings in different places so I get real confused. Then I dont know the difference between a server key and a site key and a browser key...

But I did copy the settings from EZ to HAB and it did not work.

O and yes.. I have a bunch of custom markers. and now the popup windows have scroll bars on them instead of showing all the info like before

Ok So everyone knows I am

Helpless, Hopeless, useless and careless.

But what is a cash and what happens wehn it gets to 100%? And what is the little gree arrows thing on the right side and what does it do cause when I hit it the numbers dont change.

You don't need to do anything with the cache.

I think I did that. I am not sure since there are several settings in different places so I get real confused. Then I dont know the difference between a server key and a site key and a browser key...

But I did copy the settings from EZ to HAB and it did not work.

O and yes.. I have a bunch of custom markers. and now the popup windows have scroll bars on them instead of showing all the info like before

I'm afraid then, there's nothing that can be done, as I mentioned before, you can either update to 2.0.0 beta and lose custom markers for now, or not display a map.

Will 2.x pull users location field data from profile and plot it on the map automatically anytime soon?

Thats a great idea. When someone puts in thier personal data a pin automaticly appears in the member map.

I LIKE IT!

There's two possible issues with this, the thought has been there in my mind for a while though.

1. You'll quickly get ALOT of markers, map performance may suffer as part of that (in 1.x it would likely make MM unusable)
  2. Bing/Google have a limit on the amount of requests you can make to the respective geocoding services, you'll quickly hit and probably be required to upgrade to a paid map plan to do further requests (rendering your map unable to add new markers)

O god NYLYON

BALLOON PILOT >>>>> Here,,

NYLYON (developer)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>here.

How do i find post 1477 What post is this... Do I do a search for 1477 or just go page by page back to it? Then,,, I would not know if the cappy/mappy/guywithachainsaw was readable or not.

I will go back but I have serious doubts if I will be able to figure it out unless 1477 is for dummys.

Yepper as suppected. Did not tell me where teh mappycrappy thing was so I can not even begin to locate it and even if I did I do not know how to make it readable. Also that is for the upgrade to BETA with the Bing maps and not the google maps. Does me no good. See post 1488.

BUT you have taught me that there are numbers on these posts and how to use them and for this I thank you.

Capt Jeff

the number to the right of your name is the post number.

There's two possible issues with this, the thought has been there in my mind for a while though.

• You'll quickly get ALOT of markers, map performance may suffer as part of that (in 1.x it would likely make MM unusable)
  • Bing/Google have a limit on the amount of requests you can make to the respective geocoding services, you'll quickly hit and probably be required to upgrade to a paid map plan to do further requests (rendering your map unable to add new markers)

I've had plugins like this working in the past, I have many members and wouldn't want them having to add markers manually.

This was done in configurable batches in the past on other systems using the google API.

I have no issue with paying bing or whoever for additional requests. From what you have said performance is much better in 2.x to facilitate more markers?

Thsnks.

Pete

Is there any chance to get this Membermap fixed soon? The old version doesn't work at all. The beta version deleted all my members markers and left me with a blank map. :-(

It's not working for more than a week now and I need this function in my community back soon. If there is no chance this thing will be fixed in the next days, I ask you to tell me early, so that I can pay a programer to write me a new extension for Google Maps.

If it's that important to you, go pay someone to do it, This is a free app that I have supported for almost 4 years in my spare time. I'm sorry that I don't have time to work on this for nothing.

I would usually ask for more information, because your markers are not deleted, but in this case, I can't be bothered.

Edited by stoo2000

It's not working for more than a week now and I need this function in my community back soon. If there is no chance this thing will be fixed in the next days, I ask you to tell me early, so that I can pay a programer to write me a new extension for Google Maps.

Sorry, but i agree with Stoo regarding this question: this is free software, so consider it a gift, with no obligatory support, upgrades, or anything else. The author has been quite kind in answering all questions about the transition to bing maps.

If you are not satisfied, consider hiring a developer to build custom software.

I agree, I have been a real pest because I do not understand most of this and can barely manage and Stewart has been WAY MORE than considerate and helpful. I have over 700 custom markers on my map and a LARGE part of my site is using the MEMBER MAP so right now, having the member map not working is horrible for me but if you look at my last three posts I am actually trying to help. Even if my understanding is ZERO..

It is fantastic application and I would love for the 2.0 to be available tomorrow but I also realize he has to earn a living as we all do. I will be as helpful as I can and be understanding as well.

Thank you again Stewart for a really cool and useful modification.

Jeff

Ok, thanks for explaining it too me. You are fully right, it's free software and support or garanties are not included.

However it is really annoying, that all markers are gone after the beta version update. But I also know, that it is just beta software and I shouldn't have installed it.

At least thanks for you info. I will try to find a developer than.

Ok, thanks for explaining it too me. You are fully right, it's free software and support or garanties are not included.

However it is really annoying, that all markers are gone after the beta version update. But I also know, that it is just beta software and I shouldn't have installed it.

At least thanks for you info. I will try to find a developer than.

I may have sounded a little rude, but it wears thin when things are demanded when you provide something for free.

Send me a PM with your URL, I'll have a look and see if there's anything obvious there.

Thanks Jeff :smile:

You are more than welcome. Remember I do not know anything about developing stuff but I would like to talk to you about doing a weather page for my content thingy. When you have time. AFTER 2.0 LOL... I would love to talk to you about some stuff. I have great ideas but I have a horrible time getting them to work.

Thanks again. My member map works after you cancel out the three scripts APIv3 asks for and 1.0.9 does not answer. Then if works.

Jeff

You are more than welcome. Remember I do not know anything about developing stuff but I would like to talk to you about doing a weather page for my content thingy. When you have time. AFTER 2.0 LOL... I would love to talk to you about some stuff. I have great ideas but I have a horrible time getting them to work.

Thanks again. My member map works after you cancel out the three scripts APIv3 asks for and 1.0.9 does not answer. Then if works.

Jeff

I look forward to talking with you about that!

I have been planning out the way forward with custom markers (the actual icon), the Google service that generates them at the moment has also been discontinued. That means I need to come up with another way to do it, without shipping a billion different icons (I'm no designer!).

I've come up with a method that should work and keep most of the customisation (colour), my next step is to implement and test.

@stoo

Will you PM me with your paypal info, and I'll shoot some money your way. I also upgraded to the beta and lost the members from the map, but as you say they are still there. (So it's just a matter of finding the issue) Also is the layout completely changed for this?

http://www.adkgamers.com/membermap is the link for me.

Thanks for your help!

::EDIT::

Forget that last question, it works on the stock theme, just not my theme so I have to look into that.

@stoo

Will you PM me with your paypal info, and I'll shoot some money your way. I also upgraded to the beta and lost the members from the map, but as you say they are still there. (So it's just a matter of finding the issue) Also is the layout completely changed for this?

http://www.adkgamers.com/membermap is the link for me.

Thanks for your help!

::EDIT::

Forget that last question, it works on the stock theme, just not my theme so I have to look into that.

You can donate on my site http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/ bear in mind it's in £, so you may want to use XE.com first to figure out how much you're spending.

The first thing to check on your installation, is to revert any change that have been made to membermap templates or the membermap CSS file, that should stop it breaking out of the box.

Looking at your source code though, I do see your HTML is a bit broken, you may want to run it through the W3C Validator (various stray </if> </div> etc)

p.s. I see Markers on your map just fine.

Edited by stoo2000