Member Map

So I sell an electrical unit that allows emergency vehicles to open an electronic gate just by using their sirens. The question is since I sell online and request their address to whom buys these units, Can I automatically plot where these people are located on a map without their entry as well as I am just wanting to see the map. I have tried the profile sync but it seems to not add any new address/buyer. Am I missing something?

9 hours ago, shyest said:

So I sell an electrical unit that allows emergency vehicles to open an electronic gate just by using their sirens. The question is since I sell online and request their address to whom buys these units, Can I automatically plot where these people are located on a map without their entry as well as I am just wanting to see the map. I have tried the profile sync but it seems to not add any new address/buyer. Am I missing something?

Are you selling these through Commerce? I don't believe a customers shipping or billing address is publicly available in the profile. And I'm not going to add this to the core application, exposing all customers isn't really a great idea.

I can do it for you as a custom job though. Contact me if interested.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:42 AM, Martin A. said:

Are you selling these through Commerce? I don't believe a customers shipping or billing address is publicly available in the profile. And I'm not going to add this to the core application, exposing all customers isn't really a great idea.

I can do it for you as a custom job though. Contact me if interested.

I have required my customers to fill out a profile field with their address which is only there for the map. The map is only accessable by myself and the other employees so not accessible for regular users. I have used the settings to profile sync but it doesn't seem to work. 

On 19.6.2017 at 4:57 AM, shyest said:

I have required my customers to fill out a profile field with their address which is only there for the map. The map is only accessable by myself and the other employees so not accessible for regular users. I have used the settings to profile sync but it doesn't seem to work. 

I see. If you can, send me your ACP login details (create a dummy account, don't share your own), and I'll take a look at it. If the profile field is set up as either an address or text/textarea, it should work.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Hi,

Just added this and all my map markers have disappeared - https://www.walkingfootball.com/membermap/

Please can you check this asap thanks

25 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

If it helps you to troubleshoot, remember we bought that extra plugin called MM- Add marker from content form   from you that adds a map marker location when they add a forum entry

Fixed :) (Not related to the extra plugin)

Hi,

Think I have another problem which might be connected to that plugin now

When I try to add a new topic that has your plugin I get this error

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.
On 7/3/2017 at 11:09 AM, Unlucky said:

Map markers are back thanks but nothing is appearing in that right hand column

Do I need to add any widgets myself?

Any Idea about this one?

At the moment I have chose to select the map goes full width, but if I select Show a list of markers in the sidebar I just get a blank column

2 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Any Idea about this one?

At the moment I have chose to select the map goes full width, but if I select Show a list of markers in the sidebar I just get a blank column

That list will only show members, not custom markers or calendar events (for now).

You haven't replied to my PM, so I assume the other issue you had have been fixed?

Hi,

Yes sorry the other issue is resolved

I don't have anything showing in that column , just a blank space

If it is only a list of members we are not that bothered having it switched on to be honest, but at least you are aware some people might have that problem

Thanks again

11 minutes ago, jair101 said:

1. Does this app scale well? I am considering adding few thousands markers to the map...

I have more than 5.8k markers for members alone, and then several other categories with 200+ markers (and growing).

I started with removing the new side bar since it wasn't doing anything useful for me, and I believe it made the experience of opening the map quite painful.

The issue that I have currently is that usually the map doesn't display all the markers, so you need to force the refresh of the information and reload the page several times until you see everything. I know how to do it and what should be there, but a member of the community might simply access it and see just a small part of the markers. It would be great if we could choose which marker's category should be active by default and which should only show the markers after the member activates the respective radio button.

Another huge risk is that today, there's no option to export the markers... so if you come up to a problem with the database or the application, you may simply lose all the markers that you uploaded with so much work... I already suggested to add this functionality to the application, since the import is available but not the export option.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!

PS - just to clarify, I love the application, but I just wish it could have a few more options to make it more powerful and easier to use :)

On 10.7.2017 at 4:44 PM, jair101 said:

1. Does this app scale well? I am considering adding few thousands markers to the map...
2. Is the information for the additional paid plugins (mentioned by Unlucky above) publicly available?

I would say yes, to a certain point. The server can cope with it without a problem. At around 4000 markers is switches from rebuilding the disk cache on demand, to running them as a background queue (to prevent excessive memory usage). The clustering effect should give the end users a good experience no matter the performance of their computer.
There's still a lot of data for the browser to process before the map is usable, but we're not talking more than a couple of seconds, a bit more if the data needs to be downloaded from the server (it caches the data in the browser).

It's not publicly available, no. But contact me and I'm sure we can make a deal. As a general rule I try not to make custom builds or plugins, as there's too much to keep track of. 

On 10.7.2017 at 5:08 PM, joaocb said:

I have more than 5.8k markers for members alone, and then several other categories with 200+ markers (and growing).

I started with removing the new side bar since it wasn't doing anything useful for me, and I believe it made the experience of opening the map quite painful.

The issue that I have currently is that usually the map doesn't display all the markers, so you need to force the refresh of the information and reload the page several times until you see everything. I know how to do it and what should be there, but a member of the community might simply access it and see just a small part of the markers.

I would like to see this myself. Are the markers being updated often? With the amount of markers you have, the disk cache is rebuilt with a background queue, and if you're trying to access the map in the middle of that process you are going to miss some information.

It would be great if we could choose which marker's category should be active by default and which should only show the markers after the member activates the respective radio button.

I can add this. It's sort of already there, as part of a custom request. Add "&group=<groupName1>,<groupName2>" to the URL to see how it functions. But I'll add it as a marker group setting as well.

Another huge risk is that today, there's no option to export the markers... so if you come up to a problem with the database or the application, you may simply lose all the markers that you uploaded with so much work... I already suggested to add this functionality to the application, since the import is available but not the export option.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!

PS - just to clarify, I love the application, but I just wish it could have a few more options to make it more powerful and easier to use :)

I've seen this request, but I don't see why this is a big risk? In the event of a database issue, losing vital content such as members, topics and posts is a bit more "priceless", isn't it? And there's no export tool for those. Do a regular database backup, and you'll be fine.

I'm still open to the whole idea of exporting the markers, but don't treat it as a backup option. It is for instance not possible to import markers to the members group, due to it being a bit special compared to the other "custom" groups.
The marker ownership would also be lost if you imported an export, as I can't attach the member ID to the export in case you were to import it to a different site. All markers would then end up in wrong hands, or "hands" that don't exist.

13 hours ago, Martin A. said:

I can add this. It's sort of already there, as part of a custom request. Add "&group=<groupName1>,<groupName2>" to the URL to see how it functions. But I'll add it as a marker group setting as well.

is there a current way to just show the calendar event locations from a url link?

14 hours ago, Martin A. said:

I would like to see this myself. Are the markers being updated often? With the amount of markers you have, the disk cache is rebuilt with a background queue, and if you're trying to access the map in the middle of that process you are going to miss some information.

Hi Martin! Thanks a lot for your reply. Please find attached to this message of 3 print screens. They refer to 3 different views of the map when accessing it: one is complete and with all categories and respective number of markers per category; the other is just the members category but no markers were loaded; and the last one is only the members category and respective markers, but other categories missing.

That would be great! Thanks again

I've seen this request, but I don't see why this is a big risk? In the event of a database issue, losing vital content such as members, topics and posts is a bit more "priceless", isn't it? And there's no export tool for those. Do a regular database backup, and you'll be fine.

I'm still open to the whole idea of exporting the markers, but don't treat it as a backup option. It is for instance not possible to import markers to the members group, due to it being a bit special compared to the other "custom" groups.
The marker ownership would also be lost if you imported an export, as I can't attach the member ID to the export in case you were to import it to a different site. All markers would then end up in wrong hands, or "hands" that don't exist.

Well, it's only a risk when it happens and it happened to me with another application, the Links Directory. When upgrading the application there was a problem with only that specific table, and I lost more than 1000 links... to recover the database was an option but it would imply to lose hundreds of posts and other content from the community...

The export would allow to make it easier to keep a copy of all markers as a backup in case the problem affected only that plugin specific table and not the entire board.

I hope I managed to explain it properly. And no, I am not worried about the Members markers since it's related to a profile field, but the additional categories that are possible to create in the application which allow us to create very local markers relevant to the community - it was a brilliant idea and very important for the members engagement!

Thanks!

2017-07-13 (3).png

2017-07-13 (4).png

2017-07-13 (6).png