Can Users Who Can Hide Their Own Posts Unhide Them?

I've got a member group that is allowed to hide their own posts, but users are reporting there is no way for them to unhide their posts (they cannot see the hidden posts).

Is this a configuration/permissions issue or is this a bug? Ideally, I'd like it so they can hide/unhide their own posts, but not be able to see hidden posts by others.

Is this possible?

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Nope as this is a moderation action only. 

Well, that's dumb - why allow a user to hide their own posts and not be able to unhide them while not being able to see other hidden posts?

It looks like I am going to have to take away that ability, or provide it with the caveat that if they want to unhide a post, they will need to contact a Moderator...

Thanks for the quick response, @Adriano Faria

2 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

Personally I give hide ability instead of delete ability just in case they messed up (or double posted) or someone jacked their account and tried to ruin their stuff.

Right (which was my thinking when I bestowed this on this particular member group), but what do you do when they want to unhide something?

That doesn't happen often TBH. Its not like you "accidentally" hide something. But if they do then they reach out to the staff in my staff contact center and we'll unhide it. I'll be honest. I don't think I've ever had someone ask me to unhide something that they personally hid.

Just now, Morrigan said:

That doesn't happen often TBH. Its not like you "accidentally" hide something. But if they do then they reach out to the staff in my staff contact center and we'll unhide it. I'll be honest. I don't think I've ever had someone ask me to unhide something that they personally hid.

In my case, I have users who want to work on a post (usually a long Poll that they want to tweak and revise before releasing to the general public), or users who hide something out of caution (they said something controversial and want to think over what they posted), and then decide it's okay to unhide. They can't! Furthermore they think their post was actually deleted since they cannot see hidden posts.

The only action that lets the user still see/edit their post is for it to be in an approval status. You'd have to get someone that could mod in the ability to unapprove the post. Only warning for that is that this will put it in your moderators queue for approval.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to educate your users on the true use of hiding a post. Advise them its a soft delete function.

For your users with the polls create a special forum (like a test forum) where they can only see their posts. Advise them to use that and when they are ready have a moderator move it to the correct forum where everyone can see it.

Edited by Morrigan