Holiday Closures ×

Community

The Old Man

Flaming spiders (contains images!)

Spiders  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I admit it. I am scared of spiders. The reason I'm posting is because a huge tarantula appeared on the carpet in front of me this evening, my partner spotted it before I did. Okay, slight exaggeration, it was typical British household but honestly it looked really fully grown especially on a beige/cream rug. It was almost too big to fit in the spider catcher. Gross.

I just detest the horrible things. I know they have a right to exist etc. They make me queasy. I'm now 50 and they still freak me out as much as in my late teens since I read a cheesy Shaun Hutson paperback called Spiders. Most regrettable £3.99 I ever spent in Woolworths

Last week it took me 3 attempts, but I watched the two guys on Kings of Pain purposely endure bites from a Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula. Why? So we don't have too, that and they're a bit S&M. That and I stupidly thought it may be an opportunity to desensitise myself a bit.

I've never seen one out in my home in March before though, and it freaked me out more than usual because I'm not normally on red alert for them yet until around say May until October. Last year we didn't do too bad, only saw about 3 that got in. 

Oops, can someone move this to General Chit Chat, please? 🥴

Edited by The Old Man

Posted (edited)

Spiders in general freak me out a bit, but some spiders I don't mind or can even find a bit cute!

Jumping spiders, for example. They're small, harmless and curious critters. Not really terrifying, unless they jump on you suddenly.

Also they apparently kill wasps.

And I have a morbid fear of wasps.

So they're 100% cool in my book.

Edited by Makoto

Posted (edited)

I was brave enough to watch that! Lol, I think if we had jumping spiders here in the UK, I'd emigrate to the South Pole! Or Mars.

I know what you mean though, we've experienced more of the spindly 'dot with legs' type in recent 2 years, that people say keep the big house spiders away. I can't imagine that a house spider would fear a dot with long thin legs like hairs though. I think some people call them Daddy Long Legs spiders but that's a crane fly to me.

Edited by The Old Man

Posted (edited)

Thanks, yes ours look like that but the body is like a tiny dot. I actually don't mind those. My sister hates spiders but let's 1 or 2 of those stay because she's convinced they keep the big ones away.

Edited by The Old Man

When I was a kid in the early sixties in Southern England, the place was full of Daddy Long Legs. And I hated them along with any other form of spider. My mum insisted on digging up winkles and cockles every weekend too and coz we were broke almost force feeding me with them. So I grew to hate those too. And snakes and eels And any form of shell fish. I don’t know why it is but I am a real coward with anything like that. These days I’m plant based and tea total so little chance of encountering anything nasty on the plate. I lived in East Africa in my 20s mind and then HK. Had some nasty experiences in both including almost swallowing a cockroach which had somehow found its way into a can of beer. Not quite sure which one of us was the most pissed after that, suffice to say though that I never drank from a can again.  

I wanted to be an arachnapologist when I was a kid for a long time (thank you Beast Wars and Black Arachnia).

I'm the designated spider killer/catcher in my house and they don't bother me.

Yep, that is one accurate sign. I could never handle Australia, awesome country that it is. Hopefully I'll be long gone when the UK reaches Australia's hotter climate and we get more bugs!

15 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I wanted to be an arachnapologist when I was a kid for a long time (thank you Beast Wars and Black Arachnia).

I'm the designated spider killer/catcher in my house and they don't bother me.

When can you move in? 🤗