Drip Campaigns Support

OK, I've been messing about with EDC and I'm having difficulties setting up immediate post-purchase emails.

I have set up a test campaign with an immediate thankyou email, a 2-day followup, and a 4-day followup.  No matter what I do, the immediate email doesn't work - when I check Members in the adminCP, the next action is the 2-day followup; it seems the immediate step is being skipped.  It also doesn't seem to matter whether or not Invision's own custom post-purchase emails are enabled (I initially thought there might have been a conflict).

1 hour ago, liquidfractal said:

OK, I've been messing about with EDC and I'm having difficulties setting up immediate post-purchase emails.

I have set up a test campaign with an immediate thankyou email, a 2-day followup, and a 4-day followup.  No matter what I do, the immediate email doesn't work - when I check Members in the adminCP, the next action is the 2-day followup; it seems the immediate step is being skipped.  It also doesn't seem to matter whether or not Invision's own custom post-purchase emails are enabled (I initially thought there might have been a conflict).

Please send me a PM with a link to your community and an AdminCP login so I can take a look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @rebraf,

A bug in EDC which needs remedying:

I am trying to set up a drip campaign which begins when a member purchases a product or a selection of products.  All well and good - however, I find that when I check the Product Purchased option and access the Products drop-down menu, the list includes every single product I've ever created in Commerce, whether they're current or deleted years ago - including tests from a couple of years back and custom invoices I created for individual clients!  So obviously this list needs to reflect current products only.

Thanks!

Edited by liquidfractal
16 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Hey @rebraf,

A bug in EDC which needs remedying:

I am trying to set up a drip campaign which begins when a member purchases a product or a selection of products.  All well and good - however, I find that when I check the Product Purchased option and access the Products drop-down menu, the list includes every single product I've ever created in Commerce, whether they're current or deleted years ago - including tests from a couple of years back and custom invoices I created for individual clients!  So obviously this list needs to reflect current products only.

Thanks!

To confirm, if you go to send a bulk mail and use the filter for "has purchased product ..." do you see the same issue there? Just want to be sure this will resolve your concern before I adjust the behavior.

27 minutes ago, rebraf said:

To confirm, if you go to send a bulk mail and use the filter for "has purchased product ..." do you see the same issue there? Just want to be sure this will resolve your concern before I adjust the behavior.

Thanks for the response @rebraf.  I checked the Bulk Mail product filter, and no, it is completely different.  The Bulk Mail filter presents all current products as it should, and it also rather nicely nests them in their respective categories (whereas with EDC it was just one long list).  If you want screenshots just let me know.  Hope this helps!

Edited by liquidfractal

Hello,

Thank you for developing this application!

We are upgrading from 4.4.10 to 4.6.5.1 soon, and one of the reasons we haven't upgraded yet is our dependence on the no-longer-supported Rules application.

We use it to perform actions both immediately after a purchase is made, as well as some amount of time later.

We can do the "immediately after" stuff via creating our own plugins, but not the "some amount of time later" things.  Its beyond my abilities to create a scheduler for that.

Upon installing (the 4.4.10 version) Email Drip Campaigns, I see a couple of areas for improvement that would really help our use case.

1.   The ability to evaluate the purchase custom fields to see if the campaign should be run or not.  For example, a vehicle's identification number informs a lot of these decisions.   If it is a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze, request some specific information about the transmission.  If it is a 2017 and up vehicle, request some other information.  If the purchase is for some custom widget, send an email to our warehouse staff to specifically package it up.

2.  In addition to the actions of "Send an email" and "Send a personal conversation", we would benefit from "Send a Support Request", where we also associate the purchase to the request.

3.  In lieu of adding a specific action, it would be nice if we could "Run custom php", and basically just use the same code we've always used, but triggered by EDC instead of Rules.

All in all, we are looking forward to replacing Rules with EDC because it fulfills all we ever used Rules for anyway.  We just need it to be able to create support requests, and evaluate custom fields.

Thanks again!

I have a suggestion regarding members and campaigns.

To use my current case as an example: when member X purchases product Y they are added to a drip campaign for emails for thanks, followup, etc.  However, as EDC currently stands, if X purchases Y again in a few weeks' time (or ever, in fact) they won't receive any more messages because they're already part of the DC for product Y, which is now listed as completed. 

OK, I see a certain logic in this in some cases.  But in my case, I have clients making repeat purchases of hours packages, and they're often buying for others (e.g. their children, who are students) and may not pay a lot of attention to/may forget/may just delete the initial followup emails/messages, which in my case contain a link to the Store and other useful information for repeat purchases.  I would have to go into their adminCP Member profile and manually restart their campaign (which can be time-consuming if you have lots of people making repeat purchases).

I think this could be alleviated by removing a user from a campaign as soon as it's completed.  I realise that, depending on the nature of the product and the campaign associated with it that timelines could get a bit choppy, and that perhaps there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, but sometimes it makes perfect sense for the campaign to restart with a repeated purchase.

OR.....could this be toggled on a per-campaign basis?  What if one could configure a campaign to automatically restart if it is re-triggered by a member's repeat purchase before it is completed the first time around?

[Or (just spitballing here) if each step could be configured to either execute once or to repeat with repeated triggers?  (Not sure about this last one - it just came into my head while I was typing!)]

I hope this makes sense.  

Edited by liquidfractal

@liquidfractal, I discovered this need as well last night!

I've found that there is a check that asks "Does this campaign ID exist for this member already?".  If its true, then you can't add any more of the same campaign.

I think if we had some extra criteria added to Instances, we could get around this.

For example, maybe we could use the purchase id?

If the campaign ID and purchase ID pair exist for a given member, don't create an Instance.   If the purchase has never had the particular campaign run on it, run it!  This way a member can have multiple instances of the same campaign active,  but associated to the individual purchases.

To get the purchase id, maybe we could capture it when the instance is created via purchase?

We'd use the purchase id as the search criteria instead of the package id, then when actually launching the instance, we could save the purchase id as some variable, then redeclare the package id as the value for that function in order to keep it working the way it normally does (because we still want to only run the campaign only on certain packages).

Just some thoughts!

Edited by IPCommerceFan

In that same vein, if the originating "type" (like a purchase) is cancelled, I think it would be reasonable to expect the campaign instance to be cancelled as well.

e.g. Someone buys a product, a campaign fires and queues up an email to be sent 30 days later requesting a product review.   If the customer changes their mind and the purchase is cancelled, we wouldn't want that email to still go out.

Edited by IPCommerceFan

I don't think I'd advocate for automated changes based on what is being brought up, but I wouldn't be opposed to some additional options on the campaigns.

• Allow more than one instance of this campaign
  • Automatically cancel this campaign if purchase/subscription is cancelled

That first option would have to be implemented very carefully. The reason it behaves the way it does presently, as I recall, is because if you set a campaign to initiate when a user reaches 10 posts or whatever, you definitely wouldn't want the campaign to fire at 10 posts...and 11 posts...and 12 posts...and so on.

Is there a way I can introduce past memebrs into the campaign.. or maybe let's say to start a campaign when members didn't login for a period of time..let's say 3 months?

I would like to:

1) Create a tutorial session for users to learn how to interact with the community

2) Remind people that haven't loged in for a while to come back.

Edited by MediaDIGI.com
2 hours ago, MediaDIGI.com said:

Is there a way I can introduce past memebrs into the campaign.. or maybe let's say to start a campaign when members didn't login for a period of time..let's say 3 months?

As to your first point, unless I'm missing something, unless they've already triggered that campaign you can add any member to a campaign through their profile page on the adminCP in the left-hand column, like so:

dc.jpg.de6f1f21948a864d6ae0d5ce94fa617b.jpg

I think your second point is a great idea - sort of like a "We miss you!" drip campaign.  I agree,

Also, @rebraf, we have a trigger for when someone purchases a subscription - not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but what about one for when a subscription is renewed?

20 hours ago, rebraf said:

I don't think I'd advocate for automated changes based on what is being brought up,

I see the possible drawbacks, but if one has 100 (or more!) members to manually restart campaigns for, I could see that getting time-consuming and tedious.

2 hours ago, MediaDIGI.com said:

1) Create a tutorial session for users to learn how to interact with the community

It seems like the best strategy for this would be an email in the drip campaign with a link to a page (or, if you don't have Pages, a forum/blog post)?

Edited by liquidfractal
  • 5 months later...

Quick question about this tool @rebraf

I have Commerce with several products. When purchased, users will receive a detailed email send by ACP and Commerce.

What happens if a user purchases one of these products and I've created a series of drip emails for a new product purchase? Will the first email be duplicated? 

1. The email sent by ACP
2. The email sent by Drip

Would I have to disable the emails sent by ACP in the product's page?

Thanks

Another idea.

What if we wanted to toggle on/off one of the steps in the drip campaign? I can't see a place to pause one of the steps, only edit it, clone it and delete it.

I may not want to delete it, just pause it because I want to edit it or I want to try another step without deleting the one I had created. At the moment. the only way to not send one of the steps is by eliminating it completely from the campaign.

Thanks a lot.

image.png.8847eba9f11be2a0d9d22972cded0ba2.png

On 2/12/2022 at 3:18 AM, OptimusBain said:

Quick question about this tool @rebraf

I have Commerce with several products. When purchased, users will receive a detailed email send by ACP and Commerce.

What happens if a user purchases one of these products and I've created a series of drip emails for a new product purchase? Will the first email be duplicated? 

1. The email sent by ACP
2. The email sent by Drip

Would I have to disable the emails sent by ACP in the product's page?

Thanks

This application works independently from any other functionality you may be using (within Invision, or third party addons), so if you have configured your Commerce installation to send a custom email when a user purchases a product and you configure the drip campaigns application to send a series of emails when a user purchases a product, indeed they'd get both sets.

You have two basic options:

1. Set your first email in the drip campaign series to wait a period of time. The commerce email would go out right away, and then the drip campaign could start (for example) 3 days later. It depends on your intended use case if this would be the ideal approach, but it's certainly doable.
  2. Disable Commerce sending any custom emails after purchase and roll that into the drip campaign instead.
On 2/12/2022 at 3:30 AM, OptimusBain said:

@rebraf Is there a possibility to add a trigger when a user downloads a specific file? That would be great. There are times when you want members to download a file or an ebook in the downloads module. It would be great to have campaigns for the Downloads as well.

Thanks

The obvious answer is "Yes" because just about anything is possible, but it's a bit tricky. If you asked "can you add a trigger when a user downloads any file", that would be something that could be put together pretty easily, but when you want to restrict to specific files there needs to be a way for you to specify which one, and there's no real simple method within Invision to choose specific content items (only specific nodes). 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:22 AM, OptimusBain said:

Another idea.

What if we wanted to toggle on/off one of the steps in the drip campaign? I can't see a place to pause one of the steps, only edit it, clone it and delete it.

I may not want to delete it, just pause it because I want to edit it or I want to try another step without deleting the one I had created. At the moment. the only way to not send one of the steps is by eliminating it completely from the campaign.

Thanks a lot.

image.png.8847eba9f11be2a0d9d22972cded0ba2.png

Not a bad idea, however it would need some testing. My fear is that a user could end up with getting steps duplicated (i.e. receive the same email from the campaign twice) if they were on a campaign that had a step paused and then that step is later re-enabled, but I'm sure this could be worked around. I'll think on it some.

Is this a feature anyone else has a need for?