Community

PaulKet

Has the Coronavirus effected your life?

Posted (edited)

what sucks is now I am about to go to the gym and someone told me she read that in China that's one of the main places people started getting it from is gyms... It's not the panic worrying me about it, though, it's that I don't like getting sick, period. I've finally gone over a year not being sick. Early last year I had a horrible virus that lasted somewhere around 4-6 weeks.

ps most schools closed here even though the known infected count for the whole state is like 6 I think and young people haven't been the ones having issues. Which I get they could still spread it, but anyway, why not close them all down when the normal flu infects thousands, I contrast?

Edited by Midnight Modding

10 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

So by your logic, all events should always be canceled, then, since every year in the history of the world a virus could kill someone.

I'm pretty sure I didn't imply any logic. There's reading between the lines and then there's reading between the paragraphs. 🙂

In 2014 there were 816 cars per 1,000 people in the US. Given a 2014 population of 318.6 million people, that's 259.9 million cars. If your quoted figure of 50,000 deaths per year is accurate, that's a death rate of 0.019% per year. It's hardly a good analogy to coronavirus where the current mortality rate is estimated to be between 3-4%.

The scary thing about this virus is not the virus, but the panic.
Today, our politicians in Bulgaria have declared a state of emergency with many bans ... And why, because the peak of the infection is expected. It is expected -but still in Bulgaria, only 30 are infected and one woman in 66 died.
Why is this panic in politicians? And what is the reaction of many people - absolutely stupid - to buy all kinds of flour and similar goods, as if it were a war ... Stupid and unthinking people.
And these goods have been officially declared for least 2 years stock availability ...
People, in my opinion, do not want to think and have behavior that is the reason - and the reason is hygiene and discipline, not hunger ...
I do not think very clever, but I am very disappointed with people as an elemental filler of society...

5 minutes ago, Adlago said:

The scary thing about this virus is not the virus, but the panic.

I understand why people buy a lot of food now. When the virus is most active (in a month or so?) people like to stay at home and not go to shops. There is plenty of food in the stores, but that does not mean that we would like to go there shopping.

Denmark closed all borders today, and I think Poland also did that. Most likely will happen here as well. What I just can't understand is why they still travel around with all this large cruiseships loaded with elderly folks. 

7 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

What I just can't understand is why they still travel around with all this large cruiseships loaded with elderly folks. 

Probably because they have their dream Titanic  😀

Well I am a grade 5 and 6 teacher and I am now off for 2 weeks, so that is a change.

32 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I understand why people buy a lot of food now. When the virus is most active (in a month or so?) people like to stay at home and not go to shops. There is plenty of food in the stores, but that does not mean that we would like to go there shopping.

Denmark closed all borders today, and I think Poland also did that. Most likely will happen here as well. What I just can't understand is why they still travel around with all this large cruiseships loaded with elderly folks. 

I have a trip planned for the Baltic in august with princess cruise, will see what happens till then, the plane is paid, one excursion is paid but only the deposit is done on the cruise itself. Took 5 years to have enough money for that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Heff said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't imply any logic. There's reading between the lines and then there's reading between the paragraphs. 🙂

In 2014 there were 816 cars per 1,000 people in the US. Given a 2014 population of 318.6 million people, that's 259.9 million cars. If your quoted figure of 50,000 deaths per year is accurate, that's a death rate of 0.019% per year. It's hardly a good analogy to coronavirus where the current mortality rate is estimated to be between 3-4%.

Doesn't change that the percentage of the population dying is far greater with cars, swine flu, the seasonal flu, etc... So fact remains disallowing cars would save more lives.

Also, to top that off, events being canceled is just simply pushing crowds to other places. Any person who would have risked going and spreaidng it will go somewhere else and spread it to someone else.

Also the govt wanting everyone to test themselves will simply make the numbers look a lot worse, where the media can push more doom and gloom. People who would have never gone to a doctor and found out they have it will realize they have it with no symptoms, the number of confirmed infected will go up, other viruses don't have the whole population testing themselvbes, so the numbers will be big time skewed.

8 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

Doesn't change that the percentage of the population dying is far greater with cars, swine flu, the seasonal flu, etc... So fact remains disallowing cars would save more lives.

Insisting on pushing a fundamentally flawed argument doesn't make you right, but since you are so set on it I'll let it go. Enjoy your doom and gloom. 😉 

9 minutes ago, Steph40 said:

Well I am a grade 5 and 6 teacher and I am now off for 2 weeks, so that is a change.

I have a trip planned for the Baltic in august with princess cruise, will see what happens till then, the plane is paid, one excursion is paid but only the deposit is done on the cruise itself. Took 5 years to have enough money for that.

Why not get into online training - now I have a conversation with my son, my granddaughter is first grade and she will train on an online video channel Monday with her teacher ...
And my son will work in a home office ...
There are decisions when life creates this.

5 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Why not get into online training - now I have a conversation with my son, my granddaughter is first grade and she will train on an online video channel Monday with her teacher ...
And my son will work in a home office ...
There are decisions when life creates this.

I was thinking of that for retirement in 3 years but maybe I will start sooner 🙂

1 minute ago, Steph40 said:

I was thinking of that for retirement in 3 years but maybe I will start sooner 🙂

I'm also the age of suspected coronavirus dead, but I don't have panic at all - so don't think of retirement but of young grandmothers ...🤣

16 hours ago, Aiwa said:

The closing of borders, cancelling events, etc is designed only to slow the virus down. If not done, medical facilities would not have the capacity to treat everyone. Closing things down lowers the peak infection count to, hopefully, a number that medical facilities can handle over a longer period of time  

This is the only logical explanation for me. However, I am still against treating me as a child in this situation. It would be enough to warn the risk groups. They should stay at home, avoid mass events and so on. Every other would get the virus, stay at home, and recover. 

They close the nursery and schools and recommend right now:

Grandparents should not be involved in the care process - older people are at risk of developing a severe infection with the novel coronavirus. That is why the government advises against putting grandma and grandpa to work when the day-care centre closes.

Funny thing. The loss of childcare will primarily affect the parents of the approximately 2.8 million primary school children and the parents of a total of approximately 3.6 million daycare children in my country. And at least one parent should stay at home for 5 weeks or more? Well, not every family can afford it, the most will be cared by grandparents. 

One of the main reasons "everything is closing" isn't to prevent the disease from spreading (we're past that point), it's to slow down the speed at which it spreads, so that the healthcare infrastructure isn't overwhelmed by tens of thousands of cases that turn severe, and fill up all hospital beds that would be needed for those with medical emergencies other than the virus. This makes sense.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, The Heff said:

Insisting on pushing a fundamentally flawed argument doesn't make you right, but since you are so set on it I'll let it go. Enjoy your doom and gloom. 😉 

Not flawed at all. What's flawed is thinking percentage of those infected dying matters more than the big picture of total deaths. 🙂 And the majority (including experts) agrees that overreacting is going on. the ncaa wasn't even canceling theirs until the media shamed them into it. Keep believing that it's good logic that 18,000 dying from swine flu is less important than 40 dying now because its percentage rate is higher within that subset who had it... The majority will never agree with that and will say number dying total is what matters.

36 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

Also, to top that off, events being canceled is just simply pushing crowds to other places. Any person who would have risked going and spreaidng it will go somewhere else and spread it to someone else.

No. Locked up at home or in a safe place. Not allowed to leave or interact with others. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mark H said:

One of the main reasons "everything is closing" isn't to prevent the disease from spreading (we're past that point), it's to slow down the speed at which it spreads, so that the healthcare infrastructure isn't overwhelmed by tens of thousands of cases that turn severe, and fill up all hospital beds that would be needed for those with medical emergencies other than the virus. This makes sense.

It may make sense, but it doesn't change that other viruses have spread faster and cancellations didn't happen. So why wouldn't it have overwhelmed the system with past ones? Swine flu obviously spread fast, as over 60 million were infected just in the US.

7 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

No. Locked up at home or in a safe place. Not allowed to leave or interact with others. 

That is not the case here. There is no law or rule saying all people who would have gone to those sporting events must stay in their homes. maybe known infected ones will be quarantined, but that would have been the case whether events were canceled or not.

2 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

It may make sense, but it doesn't change that other viruses have spread faster and cancellations didn't happen. So why wouldn't it have overwhelmed the system with past ones? Swine flu obviously spread fast,a s over 60 million were infected just int he US.

It's the percentage of COVID cases that turn serious and require hospitalization. Swine Flu did not present that risk, or at least the risk of serious complications was much lower.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mark H said:

It's the percentage of COVID cases that turn serious and require hospitalization. Swine Flu did not present that risk, or at least the risk of serious complications was much lower.

swine flu caused 300,000 hospitalizations just in the US that one year. And nobody is knowing that this would ever spread to close to as many people.

Posted (edited)

Also, nobody seems to care about all of the businesses that will now have to close up for good due to lost revenue. That is why it's important to be sure before taking drastic measures. I bet the death rate among otherwise healthy Americans is far lower than even the ordinary flu. Last time I heard the average age of those dying it was around 80 and most had respiratory issues ahead of time, as well, so if only one group is likely affected badly, only that group should be extra cautious to this level.

11 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

That is not the case here. There is no law or rule saying all people who would have gone to those sporting events must stay in their homes. maybe known infected ones will be quarantined, but that would have been the case whether events were canceled or not.

In an emergency there is. At least here and I guess over there as well. 
It is spreading out of control right now. Maybe the genious in the white house has it as well. Seems like he is too late this time - again. Find someone else to blame!

Just look at this hot topic! This is exactly what we need for the "forums revival" everyone is always saying that is needed. 👍 I'll take another

ci-corona-extra-2b48031ca2c738b1.jpg.c08b0ea42af696f21054d3eb60374d47.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

In an emergency there is. At least here and I guess over there as well. 
It is spreading out of control right now. Maybe the genious in the white house has it as well. Seems like he is too late this time - again. Find someone else to blame!

eh how is it his fault when the US has less cases than most places?

Posted (edited)

Regardless of if the world is reacting in the right way or not, this is certainly going to be a new kind of shock to the economy. Having the whole world massively slow productivity is a pretty wild thing economically speaking. We possibly have a second problem on our hands in addition to a health crisis.

Edited by SJ77