Holiday Closures ×

Community

PaulKet

Has the Coronavirus effected your life?

I’m just curious as to how many people’s lives have already been effected by the Coronavirus. Has it effected yours yet?

My wife and I are supposed to attend a big concert next month which is located close to NYC, I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen now (not on the date we are originally supposed to go).

We are also supposed to visit Europe this summer and now there is a (smaller) chance that will have to be delayed as well.

Earlier today a family friend who lives in Rome posted this picture of the metro on Facebook. We’ve used the subway in Rome before and people were always packed in these cars like sardines.

0254AB4D-174F-4084-A908-0489F144C7DC.thumb.jpeg.478bceadbd3452ec4a1f6528172a2ce1.jpeg

In Bulgaria, it is still calm in Bulgaria - only 7 infected and one elderly woman is already dead ...
What is interesting now is a study by a Bulgarian patent lawyer - here is the shocking news:

"The COVID-19 virus (COVID-19) was patented in 2014 as a vaccine against bronchitis, and more specifically IBV - the virus that causes it). Attorney Atanas Kostov wrote this in a Facebook profile post.

"Because I am an intellectual property lawyer, I consulted the European Patent Office," the lawyer writes.

"In fact, it should be mediciament, not disease. The basic request is English, and the three inventors to whom we owe the honor are Erica Bickerton, Sarah Kip and Paul Britton, employees of the Pearbright Institute. The patent is European and international with an indication to Japan, Canada, Mexico, Korea, China and the US, "Kostov said.

He believes the finding from his discovery is that the virus was released during development in China and has since become infected."

No and how ridiculous that the ncaa tournament won't allow fans, colleges closing, etc... over something that China said has already peaked and worldwide death total well under a fourth of the typical annual US death total from the flu. And to top that all off the average age of the ones dying is well above what it is for about anything else and it's people who already had underlying respiratory issues. They better not cancel the music festival I am going to.

Posted (edited)

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000

you should be more worried about the flu, But that's old and the governments can't hype it up like they can something new

Edited by TheJackal84

Posted (edited)

I'm clearly not happy, myself. lol. Mainly because it's affecting my fav part of the year... ncaa tournament, fantasy baseball drafts, and soon a yearly music festival I go to.

At least the ncaa tournament will still happen, but think how hilarious it will be if they still have announcers at the games… the players will hear every word the announcers are saying about them. Would be funny if one gets mad and hits him or something.

Edited by Midnight Modding

I was sitting in my automobile, in front of the grocery store, on Saturday morning consuming my iced coffee and a couple of glazed donuts. I had just finished them, and I had some confectionary glaze from the donuts on my fingers. I reached for the 40-count canister of "Wet-Ones" brand handwipes I've always kept in my auto for these types of situations and used one to clean off my fingers. When the hand wipe had reached the end of its useful life, I noticed my fingers weren't 100% clean/free of the sticky goodness. I thought, "Eff-it, grab another one, I'll just get another canister when I go in the store to do my grocery shopping." When I got to the shelf where the hand wipes were normally stacked, I found it empty with a sign stating that they're temporarily out of stock. Dumb, this whole walk-around-afraid-of-the-common-cold-better-put-on-a-dustmask nonsense. :dry:

1 minute ago, Rhett said:

Yes, they suspended the NBA 😱

and I am finishing up an ncaa tournament feature right when some are saying they should cancel the tourney. lol. (already have said fans can't go.)

Also I am confused why European travel to the US "except" UK is banned when people have said the UK has a lot of cases too.

Just now, Midnight Modding said:

and I am finishing up an ncaa tournament feature right when some are saying they should cancel the tourney. lol. (already have said fans can't go.)

Also I am confused why European travel to the US "except" UK is banned when people have said the UK has a lot of cases too.

Good point, I'm confused by that as well, they have more cases that others banned.  Has to be political/economy related as a best guess. 

Rumor has it all sporting events will follow what the NBA just did.  😞  

1 minute ago, Rhett said:

Good point, I'm confused by that as well, they have more cases that others banned.  Has to be political/economy related as a best guess. 

Rumor has it all sporting events will follow what the NBA just did.  😞  

I hope not. And I am soon drafting my expensive fantasy baseball teams. I assume for mlb they'd just put off the season start some, though. in fact that could be a good thing for fantasy players since some injured players would maybe not miss games.

Oh well. It's an interesting time. Hopefully things get better soon health-wise.

I'm a "little" nervous about getting out because it's been in my county already, but I just hate getting sick at all... for most people it's not causing major symptoms or death. I'd rather not risk it at all, though. 🙂 

Everyone should read this article, specially anyone who believes this Coronavirus was started in a lab somewhere https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/12/what-coronavirus-covid-19-start-grow-peak/

How did the outbreak start?

The source of the coronavirus is believed to be a "wet market" in Wuhan which sold both dead and live animals including fish and birds. 

Such markets pose a heightened risk of viruses jumping from animals to humans because hygiene standards are difficult to maintain if live animals are being kept and butchered on site. Typically, they are also densely packed.

The animal source of the latest outbreak has not yet been identified, but the original host is thought to be bats. Bats were not sold at the Wuhan market but may have infected live chickens or other animals sold there. 

Bats are host to a wide range of zoonotic viruses including Ebola, HIV and rabies.

The wet markets have been the source of other viruses and until China puts an end to them we will continue to see more viruses come from them.

For anyone who thinks you should be more worried about the flu than the Coronavirus, please read this article https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Basically, the articles says if you catch the Coronavirus you are much more likely to die than if you catch a seasonal flu.

Death rate

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times. 

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu. 

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. 

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu.

As with any airborne virus it is always going to be nigh on impossible to contain it.  So people are going to get infected and the vast majority will survive, the unlucky ones will be those with underlying complications and the elderly.  Instead of panicking people the media should play it's part in educating rather than sensationalising.  And people, how bizarre people can be; why the hell are they clearing the supermarket shelves of loo rolls?  It affects the lungs not the nether regions lol.

We have endured far more virulent pathogens throughout history, this is just another that we have to contend with - it's part of life and living is a dangerous occupation.

😉

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Davyc said:

As with any airborne virus it is always going to be nigh on impossible to contain it.  So people are going to get infected and the vast majority will survive, the unlucky ones will be those with underlying complications and the elderly.  Instead of panicking people the media should play it's part in educating rather than sensationalising.  And people, how bizarre people can be; why the hell are they clearing the supermarket shelves of loo rolls?  It affects the lungs not the nether regions lol.

We have endured far more virulent pathogens throughout history, this is just another that we have to contend with - it's part of life and living is a dangerous occupation.

😉

But educating people doesn’t get their ratings up which in turn leads to more money in advertising. Inciting panic does which is why the media does what it does. 

The reason they are buying out toilet paper or loo rolls as you call them is in case the government or whatever mandates a home quarantine. 

Edited by Ernest_Defoe

14 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

No and how ridiculous that the ncaa tournament won't allow fans, colleges closing, etc... over something that China said has already peaked and worldwide death total well under a fourth of the typical annual US death total from the flu. And to top that all off the average age of the ones dying is well above what it is for about anything else and it's people who already had underlying respiratory issues. They better not cancel the music festival I am going to.

We have vaccines for the seasonal flu. A non-experimental vaccine for COVID-19 will probably not be available this year. I believe the lack of a vaccine is the reason for the higher death rate, and how fast this is spreading.

As of Monday all schools and kindergartens in Norway are closed. Wonder how that will affect the rest of the country with the amount of parents that have to stay home to take care of their children. And pretty much everyone that can work from home have been told to do so.

45 minutes ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

But educating people doesn’t get their ratings up which in turn leads to more money in advertising. Inciting panic does which is why the media does what it does. 

I agree with this completely - most news reported is bad news, if there is anything good to report it's generally in the last few minutes of the bulletin.

46 minutes ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

The reason they are buying out toilet paper or loo rolls as you call them is in case the government or whatever mandates a home quarantine. 

Seriously, the self quarantine period is two weeks - some people are buying enough toilet paper for a year or more lol.

Image result for panic buying toilet paper   Image result for panic buying toilet paper

The above images are recent and in relation to the panic buying in the UK - madness! Read below third from bottom lol

AD-Coronavirus-Paper-Graphic.jpg

In between all of the seriousness of this outbreak and its potential consequences on people's lives - I find the madness the drives people into panic mode ridiculous lol.

@Davyc it’s called panic buying. Just like how in the southern part of the US where they don’t get much snow when the weather man/woman mentions snow flurries they panic and flock to the local grocery store and buy as much milk and bread as possible. It’s the same mentality. Fear of something makes people do crazy things they wouldn’t normally do. 

My wife and I buy toilet paper in bulk at a store that sells items in bulk but we also buy paper towels the same way because it’s cheaper and a pack usually lasts us 4-6 months so I don’t understand either why they are bulk buying 5-6 packs or more. That’s like years worth. Panic breeds bad decisions. 

11 minutes ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

it’s called panic buying.

Yup that's what it is - that's why is never ceases to amaze me of the mentality of some people.  There was even a report of two women fighting over the last pack of toilet rolls; how low can they go? It's even been reported that people are stealing hand sanitizer dispensers from hospitals and surgeries, buying up masks (which are useless) and other such items.  I often wonder how many of them ignored their reminders to get their flu vaccine, yet they go off the rails. Human greed and selfishness never ceases to amaze me - I think I've seen and heard it all and whoops, there's something else that pops up to amaze and astound.

12 minutes ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

My wife and I buy toilet paper in bulk at a store that sells items in bulk but we also buy paper towels the same way because it’s cheaper

This I get, some people I know use wholesale warehouses to buy in bulk in order to save money; that makes sense whenever it's possible.  On the rare occasion that I can accept an invitation to visit these places I snap it up - who doesn't want to save money? The toilet roll fiasco would be extremely funny if it weren't so sad lol.  Nothing more strange than people 🙂 

9 hours ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

@Davyc it’s called panic buying. Just like how in the southern part of the US where they don’t get much snow when the weather man/woman mentions snow flurries they panic and flock to the local grocery store and buy as much milk and bread as possible. It’s the same mentality. Fear of something makes people do crazy things they wouldn’t normally do. 

My wife and I buy toilet paper in bulk at a store that sells items in bulk but we also buy paper towels the same way because it’s cheaper and a pack usually lasts us 4-6 months so I don’t understand either why they are bulk buying 5-6 packs or more. That’s like years worth. Panic breeds bad decisions. 

I agree. I went to Sam's Club to get a thing of toliet paper but no they are completely sold out. Since Walmart was basically right next to it, walk across and they were completely out. Target same... So maybe I thought local grocery store might have some (thank god they did). I wish people weren't so paranoid about the coronavirus.  

Posted (edited)

At this point anyone trying to downplay the seriousness or blame it on hysteria is willfully ignorant. This is the most significant global event in a generation and it’s going to be much worse before it gets better. I’m not at all surprised by the usual cast of characters here with their conspiracy tinfoil hat nonsense. 

Stay safe everyone. 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Edited by Morgin

2 minutes ago, Morgin said:

At this point anyone trying to downplay the seriousness or blame it on hysteria is willfully ignorant. This is the most significant global event in a generation and it’s going to be much worse before it gets better. I’m not at all surprised by the usual cast of characters here with their conspiracy tinfoil hat nonsense. 

Stay safe everyone. 

You can have this (for a hundred bucks).

IMG_20200312_152622.thumb.jpg.0fc36dbcf9b33a55a8925afd2e54fdad.jpg

On 3/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, Midnight Modding said:

What an egoistic thing to say.

I live in Norway, and this is a matter of life and death of people around us. Here they have closed down all schools and likely much of public transport will be closed. Like all airplanes, buses, trains and all places where people meets.  We test people - and have a very good and free healthcaresystem. Also - if we must stay at home we have 100% salary, so we will manage.

Global deathrate is far above a normal flu. https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Death rate

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu. 

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. 

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu.