File permissions for files and folders?

SC36DC

I am having issues with my forum regarding how to set the proper file permissions per folders and files. 

IPS support stated this:

Depending on your server config, writable could be 777 (standard) or 644 (suphp)  The following items need write permisisons.

/Datastore
/Plugins
/uploads

Does this mean the above folders need to be set to 777 including all the folders and files within those folders?

Does this also mean everything else should be set to something else? If so, could someone list which folders/files should be set to what? I would greatly appreciate the help with this.

Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, SC36DC said:

I am having issues with my forum regarding how to set the proper file permissions per folders and files. 

IPS support stated this:

Does this mean the above folders need to be set to 777 including all the folders and files within those folders?

Does this also mean everything else should be set to something else? If so, could someone list which folders/files should be set to what? I would greatly appreciate the help with this.

Thank you in advance.

So the main folders that been highlighted should be 777 if that don't work then try 644 

Never ever set a 777 permission on a folder accessible on Internet, this is just looking for trouble.

Change the ownership of the folders that need to be writable to your http user and then set the permissions accordingly (755 or even 750).

Archived