can we get a little bit of subnode love?

CodingJungle

i know they aren't popular with a lot of dev's, but i absolutely love them. i have a few marketplace apps and a lot of custom apps that use them, but there are somethings that don't work with them well.

clubs:

if you have a node/subnode setup, with the items on the subnode not the parent node, clubs don't work. requires a bit of hookfu to get it to work.

Copying:

for what ever reason when copying a parent node in the ACP on a node controller, if the children are subnodes, it wont clone them, it wont even see it has any cause the hasChildren() check for the children check has the 'subnode' param set to false.

there are other issues, but they might be edge case issues. like trying to have a parent node->sub node->child node setup, causes some issues, i don't think it is supported by the framework any way, but it would be nice if it could be added :). 

parent node->sub node->child node

This is not likely to ever be supported - it's not what the setup was designed for (it's designed to have parent groupings that contain children which are a different thing, such as custom profile field groups and custom profile fields, but not for nesting a top level node type underneath a different subnode type - it wouldn't make sense to put a custom profile field group underneath a custom profile field).

The other things make sense but I can't make any promises.

4 hours ago, bfarber said:

This is not likely to ever be supported - it's not what the setup was designed for (it's designed to have parent groupings that contain children which are a different thing, such as custom profile field groups and custom profile fields, but not for nesting a top level node type underneath a different subnode type - it wouldn't make sense to put a custom profile field group underneath a custom profile field).

i was thinking more of like say i wanted to build a directory of some sort. example: Country->State->City or Show->Season->Episode or Kingdom->phylum->class->order->family->genus->species (yes i've had customs that have covered all 3 of these examples lol). i just thought i'd throw that out there to add versatility to it. sub-items were also another thing i was thinking of too, if you want to tackle that one while your at it :) 

26 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Just use nested categories for things like that - taking forums or downloads or gallery or whatever as an example, you can have Category > Sub Category > Sub Sub Category.

thats fine if the form and table are all the same. if you are going to have different fields, it gets a bit of a cluster. 

and it also takes extra processing time to pull out just say one or the other if you are doing a chart or something. 

Archived