CKEditor Embed Plugin, and Custom CKEditor Buttons

Joy Rex

I'm trying to use the official Media Embed plugin from CKEditor: https://ckeditor.com/cke4/addon/embed

The plugin installs fine, but when I attempt to paste in a URL, it fails - a dialog pops up saying it "failed to fetch content for the given URL". I've tried lots of URLs, both that use OEmbed (which I know is required) and those who do not, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Related, I am trying to create a custom button that will accept multiple values - I seem to remember being able to do this with the old custom BBCode options in 3.4.x, but the custom editor button only allows {option} and {content}.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For #1 I'd probably inspect the browser developer tools to see what's happening. Unfortunately I couldn't say why it isn't working offhand.

For #2 - {option} is not meant to be a literal value, but rather represent the option the user chose. So for instance, if you have a button that accepts an option and a content, it might in effect create something like <font color='{option}'>{content}</font> where {optino} could be red, blue, green, etc.

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

For #1 I'd probably inspect the browser developer tools to see what's happening. Unfortunately I couldn't say why it isn't working offhand.

For #2 - {option} is not meant to be a literal value, but rather represent the option the user chose. So for instance, if you have a button that accepts an option and a content, it might in effect create something like <font color='{option}'>{content}</font> where {optino} could be red, blue, green, etc.

I'll inspect and see what's going on with the embed plugin and why it's not working, thanks.

Regarding the {option} value - I know how to use it; my issue was having more than one {option} available, so if several values were required (e.g., {$1} and {$2} for width and height for example) the user could enter them. It was possible with the old custom BBCode feature in 3.4.x - how can I achieve this in 4.x?

5 hours ago, bfarber said:

I don't recall supporting more than one option with custom bbcode in 3.4.x but you're talking a decade ago. There's no built in manner of accepting more than one option.

Yeah, it did (I was on 3.4.x until the middle of last year). Thanks!

Archived