IDM: Parent categories without file submissions

Makoto

I believe I've suggested this once before, a long time ago, but I'd like to again. Particularly as there's no easy way to achieve this via plugins without simply rewriting the entire _category method.

Some communities may utilize IP.Downloads in a structure like this:

Video Games
- Horror
- Mystery
- FPS

Video Games is the primary category, but users do not upload to this category. They upload to one of the genre based sub-categories. There are many possible examples of this.

The problem with this setup is that clicking on Video Games will yield a page saying there are no file submissions here.

Because there aren't. You aren't supposed to upload files here.

What would we like to see instead?

Clicking on Video Games should be able to display files in both the parent category AND all child categories.

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I can’t check now (mobile device) but I did it by adding a table content listing files from its subcategories.

Ahh, I think I see what you did. That's a creative and nice way to go about it, just patching in another table. Looks clean too.

5 hours ago, Makoto said:

I believe I've suggested this once before, a long time ago, but I'd like to again.

You and others, yep.

It would also be helpful if there were some attribute in the body tag which we could target with a CSS selector to hide the "no files uploaded" message.

On 2/25/2020 at 8:10 AM, Meddysong said:

It would also be helpful if there were some attribute in the body tag which we could target with a CSS selector to hide the "no files uploaded" message.

I did a very "low tech" workaround, which was to simply change the langstring into something more positive: "Be the first to upload a resource in this category and help other members!"

Archived