Jump to content

Sitemap Lastmod Problems (Invalid Date)


coert_g
 Share

Recommended Posts

Running through Google's search console, we noticed that majority of our indexed content returns an error. The problem being that our site was migrated from another CMS and it appears all pages which haven't been modified since that initial migration has a NULL database value for the modified date field. 

The result is that when the sitemap is built, it inserts an invalid lastmod date into the sitemap for that URL (1-1-1970)

What would be the best way to go about resolving this? Would running a replace on the null values (with a recent date) be the best way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, coert_g said:

… we noticed that majority of our indexed content returns an error. The problem being that our site was migrated from another CMS …

What is that error exactly? 
Have you set up forwarding for the old URLs? That would be way more important than anything concerning the sitemap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, opentype said:

What is that error exactly? 
Have you set up forwarding for the old URLs? That would be way more important than anything concerning the sitemap. 

The URLs are all forwarded correctly, the errors just revolve around the lastmod date that is put into the sitemap XML files. Each URL has a lastmod date attached to it, and Google sees majority of ours as 1970-1-1, which then in turn gives the following error: "An invalid date was found. Please fix the date or formatting before resubmitting."

There are thousands of these errors, as a lot of our content hasn't been modified since the migration.

We essentially just need a way to feed in a valid date into the modified date field across our tables.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...