Migrate from Yahoo User Groups

Giray

1. There's no easy to migrate the information over. Yahoo offers an export function per user, but IPS doesn't include a migrate function. You would need to go custom if you wanted to import. For the Yahoo Groups that I absorbed, they started over from scratch.
2. I spent a lot of time with each group owner setting up the club they way they wanted. Invision offers more functions than Yahoo Groups, and most group owners didn't spend time on the web interface.
3. Invision is a fundamentally different UIX than Yahoo Groups. One is web, one is email. They don't marry well. If your Yahoo Groups are used to email communication, you're going to have significant barriers in their uptake. I spent significant time explaining the benefits of moving over.

The benefits are tremendous though. Yahoo Group owners are very well organized; they know how to run their clubs and many of them have been doing it for over a decade. You immediately get an influx of superusers and as they shift their activity over, they build your communitys knowledge base.

Good luck!

Thanks Joel. Really appreciate the insight and shared experience. The good news is that there are five yahoo groups that want to join my platform. 😎 The bad news is that there are five yahoo groups who want to join my platform 😓

I think I'm going to save myself some heartache and give it to them straight. If they want to come over, they're simply going to lose what they have to date. Not great but I really don't want to get into a nightmare migration scenario.

Thanks so much for the info!!!

Archived