(Pages) Ratings and reviews

Sonya*

How reviews and ratings should work in Pages? In my database I have:

• Option Allow ratings? = Yes
  • Option Allow reviews = Yes
  • Permission Rate Records, all groups except of guests (we cannot give a permission for guests)
  • Permissions Add Reviews, all groups except of guests (we cannot give a permission for guests)

I do have stars below the title and a review tab below the record. However,

• I cannot rate a record, the stars are just static, no function to select number of stars
  • Removing the permission Rate Records does not change anything
  • Removing the permission Add Reviews from all groups does not remove Reviews tab from the fronted
  • Only removing Add reviews from the Options tab from database removes the tab Reviews from the frontend and enables star rating at the same time
  • Removing Rate records from the permission matrix, does not remove rating stars from the frontend and still allows the administrator to rate
  • Disabling the option Allow ratings, does remove the star rating
  • Even with enabled option Allow rating and set permission Rate Records for all groups different from admin can only see the rating stars but cannot rate
  • If Add reviews is enabled and members have a permission Add reviews and Post before register is enabled, then guests can submit their reviews immediately without registering.

The question is: how is it supposed to work, what the Options: Allow ratings? and Allow reviews? are good for? Why the permissions Add Reviews and Rate Records are mostly ignored? Is it intentional that Allow ratings? and Allow reviews? cannot be used at the same time and rating is disabled when both options are on?

Are those handling errors or a bunch of bugs?

The first thing to do is pick one option. There is just one star-rating output. So either you want that defined through ratings or reviews—you can’t use both. If you try, you run into the problems you describe. After you made your decision, you can turn off everything regarding the other option. 

So none of it is a bug. 

5 hours ago, opentype said:

So none of it is a bug. 

Then configuration failure? I have this case:

• Allow Reviews = ON as option on the database AND Enable Star Ratings? = OFF on the category
  • The permission Rate records is removed from all groups
  • The permission Add reviews is set for all groups except guests (it is not possible to give this permission to guests as the checkbox is grayed out

Result: guests can review the content. The reviews are displayed immediately after submit. Why permissions are ignored? What is wrong with this configuration?

Another case:

• Allow Reviews = OFF as option on the database AND Enable Star Ratings? = ON on the category
  • The permission Add reviews is removed from all groups
  • The permission Rate records is set for all groups except guests (it is not possible to give this permission to guests as the checkbox is grayed out

Result: members are not able to rate via star ratings. They see the stars but there is no function behind them. Just display. So the permissions are again ignored. Why? What is wrong with this configuration?

5 hours ago, opentype said:

The first thing to do is pick one option. There is just one star-rating output. So either you want that defined through ratings or reviews—you can’t use both. I

It would be nice to have this description below the configuration options and/or a cross-check with warning if the other option is already enabled. It would be nice to have a help guide for using the feature as well.

Archived