deleted members disappear from invoices?

LiquidFractal

I've noticed that if members on one's site purchase services and invoices are generated for them, if those members' accounts are deleted then the member's name disappears from not only the invoice listing, but also from the generated printable version of the invoice itself!  So when you go to print an invoice or save it as PDF from the Invoice screen, all you have is an address without a name.

My two cents: this is a bad idea.  Could we please keep the original member name on invoices which have already been generated before the member's account was deleted, even if it doesn't link to anything (as in the Invoice list page)?  It's just more professional from a record-keeping point of view IMHO, and very useful in case one needs to correspond with a member re: their account, services, purchases, etc. after the fact if said account was deleted.

Thanks! 👍

It’s a classic unsolvable dilemma, since from the privacy perspective (e.g. GDPR and others) you HAVE to delete data from the server or at least that would be the user’s expectation. 
And in fact, IPS has used this very same scenario against ways to make deleting user more easily. 

Personally, I only use Commerce for the transactions. My bookkeeping happens elsewhere. 

Typically, laws like GDPR give you some grounds to not remove a user's data if you have a certain business relationship and have bookkeeping requirements just FYI. Check with legal experts in your area if you are unsure about the best way to handle that.

As for the suggestion itself, it makes sense I suppose and will raise internally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 2:21 AM, opentype said:

Personally, I only use Commerce for the transactions. My bookkeeping happens elsewhere. 

I do back up my invoices regularly and keep them elsewhere, but when dealing with users on the website it's obviously far, far more convenient to have the information at-hand when logged in to the adminCP.

Your privacy points are well-taken, although I'd assume (following Brandon) that keeping the user name in this case (for followup, customer service etc) would be a perfectly legitimate reason (especially since the address and other information is kept on the invoice when the name is deleted).  But I don't claim to be an expert on GDPR.

Archived