Upgrading after purchasing Pages - HELP! :)

Chris Conley

I added Pages to my license. 

I have followed the instructions to manually download the Invision Community files from my client area and upload to my server using FTP.

My site is completely broken.

Invision support confirmed this is what I should do.

Has anyone else done this?  How does it not break your site when overwriting folders on your server?

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for any pointers!

Chris

Thanks, @opentype -- appreciate your response.

Broken means I get a formatless page of html when I hit the site.

Invision support told me to overwrite the files and "replace" when FTP asks.

I asked how will that not replace my uploads, plugins and other files? 

He said it doesn't touch plugins etc. But it clearly does and did.

So I am clearly not understanding where to upload the files. 

I attach a screen grab of my FTP setup. I am uploading the files on the left to the folder on the right.

I assume I SHOULDN'T overwrite any files.

You mention "merge."  Wondering how to accomplish that as it sounds more likely to work. 🙂

Thoughts?

I am using Transmit on the Mac if that matters.

Thanks again for any pointers.

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris Conley said:

Thanks, @opentype -- appreciate your response.

Broken means I get a formatless page of html when I hit the site.

Invision support told me to overwrite the files and "replace" when FTP asks.

He said it doesn't touch plugins etc. But it clearly does and did.

So I am clearly not understanding where to upload the files. 

I attach a screen grab of my FTP setup. I am uploading the files on the left to the folder on the right.

I assume I SHOULDN'T overwrite any files.

You mention "merge."  Wondering how to accomplish that as it sounds more likely to work. 🙂

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any pointers.

Chris

You're problem is transmit, ditch that, it's replacing files and not overwriting files, use filezilla and make your life simple. 

13 minutes ago, Chris Conley said:

Open the settings and check what it says for uploading folders. 

The bad news is, even if you correct a potentially false setting, it will not fix the damage that was already done. You might need to revert to a backup first. 

Thanks, Rhett.  

Thanks, @opentype  (I had already restored from backup.)

It seems like "overwrite" is synonymous with "merge."  

This is the clarity I have been seeking. 

"Upload the files, ensuring no existing files are replaced. New files will be added."

I may use Filezilla, but Transmit does allow merging rather than replacing.

Wish me luck -- I now have to wait until EOD for the client in California which is active on the site.

Thanks again,

Chris

8 hours ago, Chris Conley said:

You need to overwrite and replace existing files.  That is intentional and how it should be.  

It won't overwrite your uploads and plugins since those folders are empty, but you do need to overwrite the core files.  Otherwise you're using a mix of old and new core files.  

3 hours ago, Joel R said:

You need to overwrite and replace existing files.  That is intentional and how it should be.  

It won't overwrite your uploads and plugins since those folders are empty, but you do need to overwrite the core files.  Otherwise you're using a mix of old and new core files.  

There is a difference between overwrite and replace when it comes to transmit, using transmit you cannot replace, it will remove the current folders and "replace" them. If you are using filezilla or other FTP programs, you "overwrite existing files only".  This is specific to Transmit only. 

3 hours ago, Chris59 said:

Well . to defend Transmit I have never ever had problem with it if you merge folder and replace files ....

transmit.thumb.png.56b2d697dc4cab1a0701e58f914248f6.png

"if"  by default it replaces folders, and it's a common issue we see over and over, as users normally download and use it without setting it up properly first. 

4 hours ago, Chris59 said:

Well . to defend Transmit I have never ever had problem with it if you merge folder and replace files ....

Just to add a "me too" for the benefit of other Transmit users who may be worried about this :smile:. About 18 months ago, I too added Pages after upgrading my forum (belatedly, from IPS v.3 to v.4.3). I too use Transmit and didn't experience any breakages of any kind, and I don't remember what "transfer" setting I had. However, the first thing I always do without fail with any new or (majorly) updated app is to check the preferences and setup first, and I tend to have all the "transfer" options set to "ask me" as a means of making sure it doesn't do something I don't want it to, eg: for other websites I have that don't have IPS installed). 

Archived