How do you call Clubs? Which might be better Groups or Clubs

Maxxius

Hi, I'm looking to open the clubs feature to the audience and I'm having my last minute thoughts, perhaps I should call them groups instead of clubs. Perhaps that term would be more familiar with members who are familiar to Facebook and that's everyone and facebook's concept of what is a group. perhaps the term group would require less explaining what is it father than clubs? What's your take on that?

3 hours ago, Maxxius said:

Yeah I understand maintaining that would be a pain.

@Joel R what do you think?

I understand the concerns from opentype, but I personally tend to be more supportive of translations / language strings.  They're one of the easiest items to customize, can really differentiate your community, and they're "low impact" -- out of all things for admins to customize on your community, language strings are the only ones that any admin can do and fix.  It doesn't impact templates, hooks, you don't have to rely on a developer who goes missing, etc.  You fully control language strings yourself.  It's one of the easiest items to change, even if there are pages and pages.  

It depends on the community and target audience.

If you're already using the term group for member groups in the frontend for stuff like accessible groups, the search, while the registration or if you change the groups based on commerce purchases, people could get quite confused IMO.

32 minutes ago, Maxxius said:

@Joel R thanks, but I have meant changing the word clubs to groups as an idea. what you think of it? not for the technical standpoint.

I wouldn't change the word just because Facebook uses it, or another platform uses it.  It should be because it makes the most sense for your community. 

The difference between the words Clubs vs Groups is trivial.  Both words are easily recognizable.  If it were me, I wouldn't bother changing the word to something as generic as Groups.  I would only change the word if it was something uniquely different for your community, otherwise the word Clubs is sufficient.  

Archived