Community

The Guy

Edge Chromium

Edge Chromium  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Microsoft has added a new Edge using Open Source Chromium which is a heavily Modified version of Google Chrome. My thoughts on it is just WOW. Microsoft pulled a fast one and a very smart move indeed. It's faster then any browser I have every really experienced. Although I feel as though Google will not be too pleased by it, then again Google had every chance to add Chromium, to their product but didn't, 

My question is if anyone else using it? 

5 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

It automatic got installed on my end and I thought it was a virus 😛 But I have used it for 5 secs then went back to chrome as I have all websites and stuff saved. 

It does import all of your stuff from Chrome seamlessly. At this current time Edge Chromium is a lot more faster and stabilized over  Google Chrome. I also recently discovered you can install Chrome Extensions to Edge now as well.

Edited by The Guy

8 hours ago, The Guy said:

then again Google had every chance to add Chromium, to their product but didn't, 

Wait, wat?

Google Chrome is based on the open-source Chromium browser...

19 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

Wait, wat?

Google Chrome is based on the open-source Chromium browser...

You're right. I actually worded that really wrong, that was my fault, it was late at night when I was testing out the new edge.

Edited by The Guy

I didn't know anything about it, but Edge itself has always been faster than most browsers I've used. Btw, what does chrome do that makes it so resource intensive? It's the browser known the most for that. I've never really looked into it. It's been ages since I've even used chrome, as well.

I've been using Edge since I switched to Windows 10 two summers ago. It's my favorite browser ever. So yes, I'm using it, because it's automatic, but I would have preferred that Microsoft continue to blaze its own way with Edge.

Microsoft and their half baked browsers that could only get 2 percent of market share deserved to die. Not only was it half baked for development it was half baked for developers. Just one of many many many many many many many issues for devs and their half baked extension fixes.

The most used OS in the history of man and they couldn't get more than 2 percent of market share. Sad and pathetic. IE fix for this, IE fix for that etc... Using old VB Libraries.. Oh but .net was supposed to fix that? Yea right..  ... Garbage. They did it to themselves.
https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

The best decision MS ever made was getting rid of that junk.. Now maybe we can get closer to some standards that actually work. In time they'll screw Edge Chromium up just like they have everything else over the years. I'd bet on that.

By looking at the MS forums it also appears not much has changed with half baking or incomplete features and work.

18 hours ago, The Guy said:

It's faster then any browser I have every really experienced

Try Brave Browser, it also uses the Chromium engine. Not only that, it has built in ad blocking that renders some sites faster and https for better security. Also there's no 3rd party apps slowing it down and some other features. Fairly newer browser doing very well right now.
https://zerocrypted.com/brave-browser-vs-google-chrome/

Edited by DesignzShop

On 1/22/2020 at 1:43 PM, Midnight Modding said:

I didn't know anything about it, but Edge itself has always been faster than most browsers I've used. Btw, what does chrome do that makes it so resource intensive? It's the browser known the most for that. I've never really looked into it. It's been ages since I've even used chrome, as well.

Chrome itself isn't resource intensive, but if you have dozens of tabs open, it can use up a lot of RAM. Usually the addons (and poorly-coded ones at that) are responsible for Chrome getting any reputation for being slow or a resource hog.

And Edge was a bit faster than Chrome (before switching engines) because MS could use proprietary hooks to speed it up vs other browser makers who didn't have the inside track on Windows' inner workings...

The bottom line here is with one less rendering engine to worry about, cross-browser compatibility should be even less of a thing.

That being said, IE 11 will still be around for awhile (at least in corporate environments) due to legacy application support.