Video Gallery: Compression, Thumbnails & Player

zyx

A long shot I know, but I'd love to see the gallery become a truly video-friendly place. 

> Automatic thumbnail option (generated from midway point in video perhaps)

> Video compression options

> Inbuilt video player, rather than relying on users browser's video player. 

Would be willing to pay for anyone who developed these features too.

• 4 weeks later...

Fingers cross for invision community 5.0 maybe? 😁 I just feel like the videos in the gallery right now feel tacked on the end (perhaps highlighted best by the fact that videos are still referred to as an 'image' when editing them in the gallery). 

As the internet becomes more and more driven by video content, I would love to see Invision adapt. 

Edited by theipsguy

On 2/11/2020 at 5:35 PM, theipsguy said:

As the internet becomes more and more driven by video content, I would love to see Invision adapt. 

+1

On 1/15/2020 at 3:00 PM, theipsguy said:

A long shot I know, but I'd love to see the gallery become a truly video-friendly place. 

> Automatic thumbnail option (generated from midway point in video perhaps)

> Video compression options

> Inbuilt video player, rather than relying on users browser's video player.

+1

13 hours ago, Matt said:

It's on our RADAR. Video is pretty tricky though. We'd need a 3rd party service to transcode the video and stream it at the right resolution for the current device. This would come at a cost of course.

Have you looked at Cloudflare Stream? It is relatively inexpensive at $1 per thousand minutes viewed and $5 per thousand minutes stored (per month).

1100639222_CloudflareStream.thumb.png.8bfd727c4ce2219c7128e9731895c8a8.png?

Edited by KT Walrus

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 11:53 PM, KT Walrus said:

Have you looked at Cloudflare Stream? It is relatively inexpensive at $1 per thousand minutes viewed and $5 per thousand minutes stored (per month).

1100639222_CloudflareStream.thumb.png.8bfd727c4ce2219c7128e9731895c8a8.png?

This really looks amazing, and seems to be an all-in-one solution to the kind of video features a lot of us were hoping for.

I understand Invision have video on their radar (which is really great to hear, thank you IPS!) but in the meantime, I wonder whether anyone has already tried to integrate a solution like this themselves?  

On 1/15/2020 at 12:53 PM, christopher-w said:

+1

I requested custom development for FFmpeg back in 2018:

No takers, but if there is someone out there with the required skills, then I'd be happy to contribute towards a solution.

+1

I'm all for it.

These days having video upload/stream options on our small niches is a must. Specially when we are trying to get away from the big corps. I know video is costly, but for small communities is not a big issue, because when your offer your members a friendly/trusty space to socialize, they pitch in. And you can always limit the size/time of the videos, similar to what Tik Tok does.

I really hope IPS seriously considers adding a native video application to the sw. 📹 🙏

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 7:23 AM, Matt said:

It's on our RADAR. Video is pretty tricky though. We'd need a 3rd party service to transcode the video and stream it at the right resolution for the current device. This would come at a cost of course.

Any news about this?

The system could be integrated with Amazon aws or cloudflare.

Very very needed features for my community!