Question re: Hidden Content

tonyv

A while back I allowed my members to hide their own content by activating this feature:

1230169770_hiddencontent.jpg.65f3f282a87d2d0f351c6c00ed41b6db.jpg

I did see that it says content will be visible to "staff" only, not "regular users." I presumed wrongly that my members were staff, and that guests were the "regular users." I wanted my members to be able to hide and unhide their own content, but now I realize that once a member has hidden his content, he doesn't see it any more; he can't see it to unhide it, probably eventually forgot that it was even there, and I have not very useful hidden content scttered across the forums.

What is the advantage of letting members hide their own content if they can no longer see it once it's hidden? Why does this feature exist?

5 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Some sites wish to allow users to remove their own content, but would rather that "removal" result in the content being hidden rather than deleted.

Thank you -- makes sense. Sort of like a "soft" delete. Is there a way to make the members see their hidden content and able to unhide it (other than making the whole group a moderator group of sorts with limited permissions)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, tonyv said:

Thank you -- makes sense. Sort of like a "soft" delete. Is there a way to make the members see their hidden content and able to unhide it (other than making the whole group a moderator group of sorts with limited permissions)?

I am also wondering the same thing too. @tonyv I also had the same thought that you had by allowing users to hide content, for a while I figured that they could see their own hidden content that was hidden by them. 

Hope there is a way :)

Archived