Exclude domains from ImageProxy (caching mechanism)

Maxxius

hi, I don't know about you, but once I learned that IPS made this imageproxy thing was a very good day. sadly a day many years late since my community entered its 14th year as of 2020. Image the number of image lost to external website and the likes of imageshack.us and so on. taking advantage of it in 2019 is only futureproofing with a big loss in past posts. anyhow it poses its own inconveniences: huge giphy reaction GIF caches since my members loves them and in signatures - GAMER-CARDS (with game stats) which are updated often while being linked to a single external image get cached too).

I wonder has anyone tried looking into a way to exclude certain domains from being sucked into IPS's imageproxy?

I would rather put that as a feature request to IPS instead of having a third-party mess with that core feature. 
But I’m certainly in the same boat. There are external sources I absolutely want to cache locally forever—and then there is stuff like huge GIFs (as you say) where the cost–benefit ratio doesn’t work out at all. 

I did that via tickets and vis forum feedback some time ago.

And I'm getting impatient. I just wish for a quick and dirty hack/fix that would just make it happen. Doesn't matter if I have to re-create it every time IPS software version is upgraded.

• 2 weeks later...

hey I had an idea, what about such a thing? I have seen such links to images before in my life that look like:

https://mywebsite.com/redirect.php?img=https://card.psnprofiles.com/1/NekoRave.png

if members would add images to their signatures like this perhaps that would fool IPS image proxy script and it would not attempt to cache that image?

thing is I have no idea what code would go into redirect.php though.

Archived