Community

In my opinion the default should be "external ugc" for all content, however, there should be an option, for example check boxes when you add an article, for additional tags like "sponsored," that would allow you to customize the tags more.

Google offers no incentive for changing, or punishment for not changing

What would you hope to achieve through this change? Google (currently at least) treats sponsored/ugc the same as specifying nofollow from an SEO standpoint.

I agree, the NOFOLLOW on everything will still work but it doesn't help Google better understand and process links on my site as well as sites pointing to my site. Eventually, Google will make the proposed changes a requirement or drop it altogether.

Google makes changes gradually. 

Plus, it doesn't hurt to give admins some control over this. Currently, it's either NOFOLLOW or nothing. (Just make the current option a dropdown.)

Let us decide.

Totally agree! We have advertisers which they do not want a nofollow link and there's not an easy way to change that, especially for not admin users.

1 hour ago, Jirinex said:

We have advertisers which they do not want a nofollow link

Same here. We have advertisers that pay only for follow links.