Unsplash.com integration

jair101

Unsplash is a free image platform that gives you permission to use million of images for free - no strings attached and no questions asked. The only limitations deal with entire site scraping, etc., which are far from being an interest to community managers like us. More information about the license: https://unsplash.com/license

License

All photos published on Unsplash can be used for free. You can use them for commercial and noncommercial purposes. You do not need to ask permission from or provide credit to the photographer or Unsplash, although it is appreciated when possible.

More precisely, Unsplash grants you an irrevocable, nonexclusive, worldwide copyright license to download, copy, modify, distribute, perform, and use photos from Unsplash for free, including for commercial purposes, without permission from or attributing the photographer or Unsplash. This license does not include the right to compile photos from Unsplash to replicate a similar or competing service.

The also have developer API with free access: https://unsplash.com/developers

Possible uses:

- All websites that combine community with news portal. You will be able to use unsplash photos automatically in your news articles, without the need to look for image, check its permissions, download it, upload it, etc. If you are familiar with Trello you can see how it is implemented there, it is super easy and user friendly. One of the largest blogging platforms - medium.com also uses unsplash for its images content.

- Profile photos and profile covers. To brighten our boards by allowing our members to easily select cover photos and profile pictures relevant to them. Yeah, I am guilty of being lazy to add a profile pic here. If there was unsplash integration here I would be able to click the profile image option, search for images with airplanes (I am aviation nut) and its done! 

I am only stating my personal opinion here, but I think this integration will be much more useful then the Giphy thing:

puss in boots please GIF

With Unsplash, there are no limitations to download and store pics locally, so we can store them in the image proxy (or somewhere else), eliminating the risk of them pulling a Photobucket on us one day. 

If IPS shows 0 interest in this, if there is one of the 3rd party developers interested in doing the integration, I am willing to sponsor the integration, if not fully, at least partially (sorry, not sure how much effort is needed for something like this). If there are more people willing to help, please say so, maybe we can collect a budget to cover the entire development costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived