ImageProxy caching - needs to have exclude URLs setting

Maxxius

Hi, I'm a big fan of this imageproxy thing which downloads and servers external images making sure images don't go blank when original source gets deleted over time.

but it has its problems about which I want to talk and hopefully inspire the team to address those issues.

1. ability to exclude URLs from having imageproxy mechanism touch those images. for example if built-in Giphy images are used and they weigh a lot it eats a lot of storage space. I doubt that giphy will go away anytime soon so I would prefer their gifs not to be cached. + the same goes for other instances like gamercards in signatures for example this image is dynamic it gets updated every day NekoRave.png

but once imageproxy gets it does not update anymore.

2. when imageproxy is turned on when you click on cached images - they no longer open in a lightbox and open in a new window tab instead. I went back and forth about this in ticket #39054 to no avail. I grew tired of it all and gave up on the conversation. If somebody else from the staff would read that ticket to the very end give their opinion of what was said I'd like to hear why this cant be done. and why images are saved full size (which is actually good) but ips staff referres to them as thumbnails.

Archived