Guide to XAMPP Setup?

Aramaech

Hey, I was wondering if anyone happens to know where I could find a guide to setting up a production version in XAMPP on a mac.
I'm guessing there's one somewhere on the site, or if anyone has done it and happens to feel like explaining how that would be awesome.

Thanks, I was actually able to get it working with MAMP.  XAMPP turned out to be a bit of pain.  Lots of file editing necessary to get it up and running.  Which I did, eventually, at least to the point of the sites error page, but MAMP is much cleaner.

Only problem at this point is that the IPS installation hit the error that it couldn't create the uploads directory.  Which already exists and has the proper permissions.  So I'm trying to figure that out now.  

Thanks for the tip.

This has progressed a little.  I got the forum working in MAMP but the css is absent, despite the themes being selectable. It's just raw html, visually.
• The main page will load as an error at first, but clicking the Try Again button on the standard error page causes the site to actually load.  Again, minus the css.
• The admin cp is displaying an error message in an expandable text input box. Those errors are:

IPS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)
#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/File/FileSystem.php(306): IPS\File\_FileSystem->getFolder()
#1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/File/File.php(320): IPS\File\_FileSystem->save()
#2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/Theme/Theme.php(5116): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', '05e81b71abe4f22...', ' @media screen ...', 'css_built_9')
#3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/Theme/Theme.php(2488): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/Theme/Theme.php(608): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('core', 'global', 'responsive', 'responsive.css')
#5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(57): IPS\_Theme->css('responsive.css', 'core', 'global')
#6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/init.php(820) : eval()'d code(45): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard::baseCss()
#7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(92): IPS\Dispatcher\bimchatbox_hook_hookJSCSS::baseCss()
#8 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(109): IPS\Dispatcher\_Admin->init()
#9 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mySitesRootDir/admin/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#10 {main}

Trying to change the theme, changes the error messages to this:

IPS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)
#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/File/FileSystem.php(306): IPS\File\_FileSystem->getFolder()
#1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/File/File.php(320): IPS\File\_FileSystem->save()
#2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/Theme/Theme.php(5116): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', '3ba4fd28c064b4f...', ' .ipsBadge{padd...', 'css_built_9')
#3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/Theme/Theme.php(2488): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/Theme/Theme.php(608): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('core', 'admin', 'core', 'core.css')
#5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(99): IPS\_Theme->css('core.css', 'core', 'admin')
#6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(109): IPS\Dispatcher\_Admin->init()
#7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mffa/admin/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#8 {main}

I'm considering re-downloading the database and all the site files, and just replacing everything.  🤔
I've already tried it with all of the files in the directories mentioned in the errors.

The last working steps up till now were uploading the database, and all the site files (adjusting the global config file), doing the /admin/upgrade thing, and then downloading and adding the /uploads directory. It's connecting to the uploads fine, there are images on visible within the otherwise raw html.  It seems to be connecting to the database, given that I'm able to log into the admin cp. Most of the links are dead tho, so it's tough to know. 

Any help or insight into what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated at this point.
I've been at it for days, and this is third attempt in the last 6 months or so.  😣

Yes friendly urls are enables, and the .htaccess file was copied.

The fix to get the theme working was to change the file storage location.
Admin cp > files > storage settings.

These locations do not update when the root directory in the conf_global.php file is updated.
Neither does the directory in Admin cp > files > storage settings > configuration

I wonder if maybe they should?  Because without the css and javascript active, these can either be a pain in the ass or impossible to get to.

The current problem now, is that none of the urls on the actual site work.

So I tried rebuilding the search index.  This process began and never ended.  It's now over 5 million percent complete, and still on the first step.  Check it out (attached image).
Tried running the processes manually twice, same effect.  The progress indicator bar gets all the way to the end, eventually after a couple hours or so, and just stays there.

Tried running each task individually manually, no go.  Tried running the suggested cron command (shown when selecting other data processing methods than file system) through the terminal, no effect. Tried replacing the datastore directory with a fresh download, no effect.

My suspicion here is that if I can figure out how to get these bg processes to stop, then I can change the paths in 
Admin cp > files > storage settings > configuration
Which are still stuck as their old directories, because they can't be changed while the background process are active.  Says files are currently being moved out of them.
A "stop all bg process" button would be handy here (yes I can imagine the host of problems with actually implementing one of those).

Also, the database apparently has some problems which can be seen by running the amin cp support tool.

Any ideas on how to either stop the bg process, or get the sites urls working again?

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 2.49.10 AM.png

@Rhett  This is why I was asking for some kind of guide to this process.  Pretty much every time I try anything more the simplest of functions I run into some kind of problem that requires at least a moderately technical solution.  I figured there would be a bunch in this process, and I wasn't wrong.  I was hoping that of the many people who have probably gone through this process, that at least one or two of them had documented their struggle.  

Personally, if there isn't an official guide to this, I think there should be one.  Given that a home setup is necessary, if you don't want to worry about your host deactivating your site over some process you do on your hosted "testing build" dev board.  Some kind of composite of the problems and solutions related to this process could be a help to many many people.

Archived