Community

Midnight Modding

The Perpetual Intel/AMD/RAM topic

1 hour ago, Misi said:

Just a little more patience and can get the 4000x, 4100x or the 4200x.

like I said, this is different because getting all of my "other" parts just happened to take so much time as to have me ready right before a new cpu release. Wouldn't have been very smart to build with last generation only about 5 weeks from a new cpu release.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Rhett said:

Since you have posted this topic, they have introduced two new generations of processors, so if you keep pondering, you may as well wait for the 10th gen from Intel.  You're better off making a decision, sticking with it, taking this long to make a decision is causing you to be pondering outdated hardware. 🤣 Keep in mind that each generation of processor will require different memory, motherboard etc. 

🤪

As Rhett said, since you've posted this topic there's been two new generations of processors.  This whole "wouldn't have been very smart to build with the last generation only about 5 weeks from a new cpu release" thing is the exact reason why you're still here over 1 year later talking about the same thing and questioning what you want to use.  

I believe I mentioned a while ago, you can continue to make or find excuses for why not to do something rather than just doing it.  So do you want to wait for Ryzen 9000x series or do you want to have a new computer completed within the next few weeks? 

So many knowledgeable people here have been trying to help you and it seems like every response from you is some reason to not move forward.  

I simply asked people for their opinions on which to use. I am not obligated to do anything other than what I feel is right for my situation, however, nor is there a right or wrong answer. It's also odd timing to say that, since I already said I made my decision that I am getting a cpu and building in early July, so everything about waiting for next year's or some future year's is moot now. (Also, just because knowledgeable people here said build doesn't mean knowledgeable people elsewhere agree. Many say wait, also. There will never be a consensus on pc decisions.)

My decision now is not when to get it, it is which I will be receiving on July 7th. I was simply asking opinions, but it's like with products or movies or anything else, good to hear opinions, but which choice is right comes down to the person purchasing.

Too bad I did make a decision, because if I were to wait for the intels later this year, it could be said 3 generations have come since I bought my first part. 😛 I originally thought of building with the intel 7700 or 7700k. This all started from when I was talking to Jungle about my pc not working 2 years ago, but I managed to get it working long enough to last me these extra years.

Also, I explained before that I accidentally bought RAM that is up in the air as to what it will work on, because this is my first build and I didn't realize some things, so that slowed me up deciding what to do. I will probably just keep it at this point...

Edited by Midnight Modding

And, btw, I agree I should not ever do this again.... buying a part hers and a part there. But now that I did do it, I am waiting 1 month to get the new cpu. From now on I will buy parts more at the same time. I did it this way to save money by getting good deals over time, but what happens is obviously in that amount of time better parts come out across the board, so then either your build is closer to being obsolete or you have to sell and purchase new parts, ie losing all the savings. 🙂 

Since I do have to get a different cpu and mobo regardless (already sold mine), I could just as easily get the current intels, btw. But I don't think it would be a good idea because it would end up costing more than the upcoming chips and I don't like the idea of having to get and install aftermarket coolers on a first build, either (plus that extra cost).

ryzen 3 build with x570 mobo.

1. use the 3200 cl15 Samsung b die I already bought, even though it's not on qvl and odd number latencies require some fine tuning on ryzen.

2. 3600 cl16 Hynix.

3. 3600 cl16 Samsung b die...…. but for a whopping $120 more cost than the hynix one.

#2 and #3 are on qvl.

?

Ryzen 3 performs better with 3600mhz ram than 3200 if that’s where you’re getting at. I would opt for 3600 over any sort of 3200 for that build. If cost is an issue, 3200 will run just fine.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:29 PM, Dylan Riggs said:

Ryzen 3 performs better with 3600mhz ram than 3200 if that’s where you’re getting at. I would opt for 3600 over any sort of 3200 for that build. If cost is an issue, 3200 will run just fine.

yeah, the thing is... I bought 3200 Samsung b de over a year ago, so it's down to whether I should just get it working at its best or really pay big time to get 3600 since I'd not be getting a ton back for my current kit (although b die is becoming scarce, so if I hold on to it... it may go up in value).

I'd say I could get 3600 cl16 Hynix for basically nothing if I sell this kit. But for 3600 Samsung it would be $150-$200 above what I get for selling this kit.

People say that for gaming there is next to no difference, but I am guessing for productivity the 3600 would be around 10% better.

It'll be less than even that. However, it's still the most 'optimal' for the 3xxx series. Your 3200 should be just fine. Have you thought about just overclocking it to 3600? You will have to increase your latency, but should be easy to pull off.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:44 PM, Dylan Riggs said:

It'll be less than even that. However, it's still the most 'optimal' for the 3xxx series. Your 3200 should be just fine. Have you thought about just overclocking it to 3600? You will have to increase your latency, but should be easy to pull off.

I thought about it. I'm just wondering if it would lower lifetime of anything. Supposedly Samsung b die is good at OCing, though. I had thought about trying for 3600 cl16 or just tinkering around and see what seems to work fine. However, if it would legitimately lower the lifespan of something, I'd just rather keep it at listed speed.

edit: FINALLY Samsung and other stores have lowered the 970 evo plus cost back down so soon I'll bite on my final ssd purchase, once I get another of my deals of $50-$100 off. Pretty much another ssd is the only thing I am DEFINITELTY waiting on before building. I already have 2 nvme drives, but my mobo can run 3 at the full 3.0x4 or 4.0x4 speeds and I don't like the idea of building and then adding parts later. Speaking of speeds... was tempted to get a pcie 4 one for same price a Samsung pcie 3 one is, but I'd probably prefer the brand over the speed (and also the speed doesn't improve in all tasks).

On 1/13/2020 at 5:12 AM, Midnight Modding said:

Samsung and other stores have lowered the 970 evo plus

just bought the 2TB Samsung SSD and literally just installed it ( Samsung have good deals at the minute plus with free gifts ), have it with 20GB ram, 3-5 seconds till PC is ready from boot, Love it :biggrin:

Edited by TheJackal84

5 hours ago, TheJackal84 said:

just bought the 2TB Samsung SSD and literally just installed it ( Samsung have good deals at the minute plus with free gifts ), have it with 20GB ram, 3-5 seconds till PC is ready from boot, Love it :biggrin:

cool. I am considering that 2tb one also. I already have a 512gb 970 pro, but the pros are so expensive and in some scenarios the evo plus will even outdo it.

The ssd came with a gift? I don't see any mentioned straight from Samsung.

Looks like I messed up, though... They now don't even list the 2tb as available to buy directly from Samsung and that is where I was going to get it because sometimes I get extra discounts there and dell. So would either have to get 1tb or buy elsewhere or wait and hope they sell it again.

I have an off-brand 1tb as well, so I'll have a lot of space... just was tempted by that 2tb of the really good evo plus, though.

I upgraded my notebook at Thanksgiving 2018 (black friday sales). I added a 256GB Samsung M.2 SSD and a 2TB Crucial SSD. It's pretty nice to have 2.25 TB total storage in a notebook, I have less than 500GB free space left though 🤣

17 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I upgraded my notebook at Thanksgiving 2018 (black friday sales). I added a 256GB Samsung M.2 SSD and a 2TB Crucial SSD. It's pretty nice to have 2.25 TB total storage in a notebook, I have less than 500GB free space left though 🤣

crucial is what I am leaning towards for an external one because their x8 is about twice as fast as the Samsung t5 if using the proper port types (and I don't want to do it myself via an enclosure). I assume crucial/micron is trustworthy as a brand, as often as I hear about them.

yeah that's a lot of space for a notebook. or for me, it's really a lot for anything.

12 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

crucial is what I am leaning towards for an external one because their x8 is about twice as fast as the Samsung t5 if using the proper port types (and I don't want to do it myself via an enclosure). I assume crucial/micron is trustworthy as a brand, as often as I hear about them.

yeah that's a lot of space for a notebook. or for me, it's really a lot for anything.

Samsung SSDs have a very good reputation, but at the time the Crucial MX drives were on a good sale which made them far cheaper than the 2.5" Samsung drives. I haven't had any issues with my Crucial drive.

3 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Samsung SSDs have a very good reputation, but at the time the Crucial MX drives were on a good sale which made them far cheaper than the 2.5" Samsung drives. I haven't had any issues with my Crucial drive.

Even now on good sales the Samsung nvme ones usually don't go much lower than $200 per tb, whereas other brands are around $100 per tb. In fact you can even get pcie 4 ssds for less than Samsung pcie 3 ssds. I was tempted by those, but probably just going to get pcie 3 ones.

The 2.5" ones have come down, although probably still Samsung ones are higher cost than others there too.

One of Samsung's external ssds is $700-$800 for 2tb! (the x5).

10 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Now I can get an extra $50 off the 2tb one, but that barely does better than offsetting the tax... Still thinking. This is really the main decision I have left is that final ssd decision.

Fast forward three years and you will still be deciding, we locked the old topic as it went on for many years, which made the topic irrelevant as the hardware you were still pondering was obsolete. I'm seeing a pattern here perhaps 😂😇

40 minutes ago, Rhett said:

Fast forward three years and you will still be deciding, we locked the old topic as it went on for many years, which made the topic irrelevant as the hardware you were still pondering was obsolete. I'm seeing a pattern here perhaps 😂😇

nah. I can't let that happen again. I will not wait past February because for real I'd be getting too close to the 2020 ryzen releases then and I don't even want to get tempted. lol. That 3950x came out at the end of last year and I was even tempted by that, but have forced myself to resist. 🙂

I'm just making that last decision on ssd, which nobody can help me there because nobody can know what a person will need in storage space. I just have to decide. If I want to go with a 2tb, I "probably" should go ahead and get that today. I'm kind of thinking 1tb is enough, though, given that I'd have other ssds as well.

Then whatever I do on that determines my RAM purchase because I have newegg credit, so if I don't spend it on an ssd I might as well get the RAM or a monitor.

edit: shortening this up... bottom line technical issues of some sort were messing me up when trying to purchase the 2tb and I took it as a sign to wait for another day and see if the price goes lower, but really I should have just gone ahead and bought it because it was a 1 day deal so it may backfire now and slow me up.

4 hours ago, Dylan Riggs said:

sSDs will continue to drop in price 

I would think so, especially with pcie 4 ssds on the market, but who knows how quickly. I really must build by end of feb. I think I am going overboard waiting on low prices, but what happened is I have spent way above what I planned (over $2k when I planned barely over $1k). But this mishap last night was really only going to affect price by such a low amount....

I think I need to set a definite date to buy the part by and then if it doesn't go lower by then, go ahead and get it. Prices still are high if you think about it compared to hdds, though. 7200rpm hdds are about $40/tb and the evo plus is $200/tb. It really should have come down even more by now. Even off brandfs are $100/tb.

Btw in a way it probably makes sense to just have a fairly low amount of nvme ssd space and then get sata ssds for the rest, but I am just trying to take advantage of having one of the rare mobos that let you run 3 nvme ones at 3.0x4 without gimping the gpu. Gamers, in particular, would be fine with sata ones, but I don't really game on pc. I weas thinking more about productivity work.

edit: hmm maybe I answered my own situation by mentioning sata ssds. the reason I was going to geta  2tb ssd to fill that slot is where I wouldn't later regret not having more space... But I'd still have all sata ports left,m due to not putting any hdds in. So if I WERE tio run out of space later on, I could put in some sata ones... so maybe I should get the 1tb one. Just more convenient to have a lot of space in one slot, though.

I'm not too happy with Samsung right now. I recently lost my NAS and moved all my most important files onto a 512gb Samsung 850 evo and it randomly failed. I literally lost everything important to me. Soo, I'm going to boycott Samsung because of it. Just a personal opinion. I do have a 970 pro that's running like a champ.

But I think I'm going to invest in a higher state raid array of slow discs with a nightly image backup I can deploy if my M2 drive fails on me. Just so odd that an SSD failed and I only had it for a little over a year. Sure, I can get the drive replaced, but I still lost everything dear to me.

59 minutes ago, Dylan Riggs said:

I'm not too happy with Samsung right now. I recently lost my NAS and moved all my most important files onto a 512gb Samsung 850 evo and it randomly failed. I literally lost everything important to me. Soo, I'm going to boycott Samsung because of it. Just a personal opinion. I do have a 970 pro that's running like a champ.

But I think I'm going to invest in a higher state raid array of slow discs with a nightly image backup I can deploy if my M2 drive fails on me. Just so odd that an SSD failed and I only had it for a little over a year. Sure, I can get the drive replaced, but I still lost everything dear to me.

every Samsung product I've owned or had a relative own had an issue of some sort, but the problem is for ssds everyone else (except intel) is even less reliable, it seems. Main companies I want nothing to do with anymore are hp and wd. I'd "rather" not get Samsung if only there was another choice with the same performance from a big name brand.

I've heard of people saying they had an ssd fail quickly, which sucks because that's one of the main points of getting one (along with speed) is them supposedly less likely to have issues since they don't have moving parts... But in reality they have a lot of other possible issues.

Eh, I can jump through hoops to "sort of" get this ssd even less today than had I done that other deal. It basically involves returning an item I bought from amazon and buying the same item somewhere else with the cash back deal I was "hoping" to be able to use for an ssd. then with the returned amazon credit buy the ssd there, all said and done it means I'd be saving $65 on the ssd. Just trying to decide if it's worth all that trouble or if I should wait a couple more weeks. lol.