Announcement Enhancements (Support)

Add enhancement to the announcements feature. Show only to members who have or have not purchased selected packages, how many days since a member joined and select custom background and text colors for each announcement.

Features
  • Display announcements to members who have or have not purchased selected products. (Commerce application required.)
  • Display announcements to member who joined more or less then x days ago.
  • Display announcements to selected countries members are from.
  • Select a custom background or text color for each announcement.

Keep up to date with DevFuse mod development and releases.
Facebook Twitter Youtube Rss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can change the background colour but I can't seem to change the text colour. It's always in white no matter what colour I tried to change it to.

Any clues?

Also, I've already had a private exchange with you – but I may as well put it up here to see what other interest there is.

Additional features which I think would be useful include:

• Visitor counter – to see how many people actually follow the announcement
  • ability to change announcement fonts – maybe HTML – including size, weight, font et cetera.
  • Ability to change height announcement banner so they can be wider or higher – especially higher
  • ability to be able to have more than one line in a banner – so maybe the sentence can be wrapped
  • ability to schedule colour changes so that one doesn't have to keep going and doing it manually
  • ability to pin announcement banners in a priority order

– At least those.

Thanks

On 1/8/2020 at 6:35 AM, BankFodder said:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can change the background colour but I can't seem to change the text colour. It's always in white no matter what colour I tried to change it to.

Can you reproduce this with the default theme? If not, can I get a copy of your theme or acp access to check it over?

Hi, I'm very sorry but I've had a very complicated couple of days – especially with trolling problems on the forum and I haven't managed to get round to doing the testing that I wanted.

I'll get around to it as quickly as possible and respond to you because I'm sure that you want to check for any problems and address them. I'm sorry to delay. I'm using a default theme – simply with some colour changes.

I have to say that if you are looking for new ideas for a plug-in – then you might want to look at this 

which was available on vBulletin and isn't available here.

I was quite amazed that when I first suggested it, people seem to be saying that it wasn't a very proper thing to do or that it wasn't treating people correctly. I have to say that if they ran a consumer rights website which was as inflammatory and controversial as mine, then they might form a different view.

You might be interested to know that there was even a contract put out on us to bring us down by a debt collection company about four years ago. Luckily the FBI arrested the hacker and then inform the British police and the owner of the debt collection company was convicted in a British court.

We could really do with the global ignore option – but we don't have a lot of money. We have a lot of fans – but not very much money!

Edited by BankFodder
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

On a couple of occasions in the last year – or much longer than that, I'd mentioned to you that there seemed to be some problem with the announcements plug-in and that it seemed to be incompatible with the basic IPS announcement facility.

I kept on saying that I would find out more about it and come back to you – but am afraid that things are extremely busy on our forum and it never became a priority.

Anyway, I just had another look at it on our test site and I suddenly realised what the problem was.

The enhanced announcement plug-in has a field where one can select the countries to which the announcement should be displayed. The IPS announcement facility doesn't do this. It simply displays the announcement to everyone.

When you install the enhanced announcements plug-in, it introduces the country fields to all of the existing announcements – and then leaves them blank.

If you switch the plug-in off, then all of the announcements revert to IPS standard and of course they all display because there is no "country" field.

Immediately, because they are configured not to display to any countries, none of the announcements work. I'm afraid that I hadn't noticed this. I now understand that if you install the enhanced announcement plug-in, then you have to go to each of any existing IPS announcements, access the country field and configure it to display in the appropriate country for it to work anywhere.

I suppose I should have realised – and I certainly wouldn't describe it as a plug-in glitch. On the other hand it wasn't glaringly obvious to me – and maybe others have been flummoxed by the nonappearance of their existing announcements – but then they realised what the problem was more quickly than me.

Now that I've understood what I missed out, the enhanced announcement plug-in works excellently and it's very useful.

So now some feature requests – more filtering, directed to members who have had a certain post count, a certain reputation count, not visited within the last N days, particular members by userid – and/or all of that.

Maybe also on a new installation it should default to "all countries" rather than to "none". By defaulting to all countries, it would effectively be implementing the existing IPS announcement configurations – and then they could be altered to reflect people's requirements once they have all the enhanced choices available.

At the moment, if you install the enhanced announcements, it effectively switches all of the existing IPS announcements off

Edited by BankFodder
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 7:58 PM, BankFodder said:

At the moment, if you install the enhanced announcements, it effectively switches all of the existing IPS announcements off

Thank you for reporting. I should be able to add some kind of provision in there for existing announcements, so you don't have to manually adjust existing announcements unless needed.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:03 AM, David.. said:

I'd be interested in buying this if we could specify the exact (or wildcard) URL where the announcement displays. @Michael.J

Noted this suggestion!

Maybe the most suitable solution to the country's problem is to get it to detect the country in which it is being installed and to place a tick in the checkbox for that country. At least it will then be switched on for the majority of people who are using that forum and the administrator can gone to make suitable adjustments for the rest

13 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Maybe the most suitable solution to the country's problem is to get it to detect the country in which it is being installed and to place a tick in the checkbox for that country. At least it will then be switched on for the majority of people who are using that forum and the administrator can gone to make suitable adjustments for the rest

Yep that should be good and easy enough to implement.

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 8:42 AM, OctoDev said:

I'd buy it if you could make it so I can make announcements for certain pages only. For example on a certain "Product" page in Commerce, or a certain Product Category in commerce.

Showing on selected apps should be straight forward but exact pages might be a bit more complex. What about a url filter?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, livegames.co.il said:

I didn't understand the packages requirement. 
I need a simple Announcement for a specific group in my forum.
Is this one do the job?

You wouldn't really need this then as the standard announcement feature in ipb will already allow you to display to selected groups. This just adds a few new options that are mentioned in the description.

• 2 weeks later...