Set Default to "Follow All" on Forums?

Hello,

I run a community where many of the users are used to getting email updates (think of an old ListServ, or Yahoo Groups).  Most love the new community, but I have several asking if there is a way to set the default for following Forums, Discussions, etc. to ALL.  They currently have to go in each topic and click "Follow", and if they miss one they don't receive all of the communications they are expecting.

Thanks for helping out this old Noob...

Thanks.  I've done exactly that and applied the changes to both existing and new users, but it still doesn't follow a new topic under a Discussion someone is already following.

Maybe a scenario will help...

Existing user(1) is following the Forum -> Motorhome Discussions and is currently following all topics under that discussion.

A different user(2) adds a new topic under "Motorhome Discussions", for example "Polishing your motorhome".  

The existing user(1) doesn't automatically follow "Polishing your motorhome" unless they go to that topic and click follow.

The behavior I would like is that if they are following the parent (Motorhome Discussions) and a new topic (Polishing) is added under that parent, all users following the parent topic automatically follow "Polishing" (new child topics).

Does that make sense?

Thanks for letting me know.  It's frustrating for a few of my members to have to access the site daily to find if any new topics are posted - they are used to receiving something in their inbox when something new is posted.  The "resistant"  group is mainly older folks, and change is hard. 🙂  Most of our younger members prefer accessing the site as opposed to receiving emails.  I was just trying to make both groups happy.

Maybe in some future release, and "opt-in all" or alternatively, "Opt out" default feature could be added.  Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 12:58 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Thanks for letting me know.  It's frustrating for a few of my members to have to access the site daily to find if any new topics are posted - they are used to receiving something in their inbox when something new is posted.  The "resistant"  group is mainly older folks, and change is hard. 🙂  Most of our younger members prefer accessing the site as opposed to receiving emails.  I was just trying to make both groups happy.

Maybe in some future release, and "opt-in all" or alternatively, "Opt out" default feature could be added.  Just a thought.

There is an Auto Follow plugin in the Marketplace. 

• 3 months later...