-200 Error on File Upload, Anyone else having issues?

GTAPoliceMods

Howdy folks,

We've been running into an intermittent issue where people who are trying to upload files are running into a -200 error. Of course, Invision's documentation is less than helpful on this.

I've managed to figure out it was something to do with PHP settings, but it seems to fix the problem temporarily and it starts creeping back up. I assume it's a timing out issue, but it's been popping up again even after upping the execution/input time prior to what I have now.

At the moment, I have the following settings in place (as they seem to be working for now):

PHP Version: 7.3.12 FPM
Memory Limit: 8G
Max Execution Time: 1200 seconds (overkill, but it seems to help)
Max Input Time: 900 seconds
Post Max Size: 3G
Upload Max Filesize: 2500M

I should note that we are running on a dedicated box with Plesk powering the system on top of Debian 9.11. Other specs include 64GB of DDR4 memory, quad-core Core i7 7700k, 500mbit Fibre Connection. Server and memory usage appear to be nominal for the most part and we rarely creep up past 16-20gb of usage.

So this has been a bit of a head scratcher for me. Either we have a bad configuration issue, which is odd as I've been running sites on Plesk powered servers for the better part of the last 6 years without too much headaches. Or I'm running into a weird glitch with Invision not liking files over 100mb in the files section...

So any input would be appreciated, and is anyone else running into this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

4 hours ago, GTAPoliceMods said:

Appreciate your response, but we're using Plesk to power our server. I have those settings in place currently, seems to be working (for now). Here's a screenshot of our settings.

I'm sure you have a good host. I also have access to all the settings in my host.
But a few months ago I also had a -200 error. I made any enhancements to the server - to no avail.
Then I made a ticket support to my host. They found this solution - with the file I suggested.
If your problems persist - try this file.

7 minutes ago, Adlago said:

I'm sure you have a good host. I also have access to all the settings in my host.
But a few months ago I also had a -200 error. I made any enhancements to the server - to no avail.
Then I made a ticket support to my host. They found this solution - with the file I suggested.
If your problems persist - try this file.

Not sure about a good host as I run the dedicated server myself 😂 and our host, OVH, doesn't really provide software support unless you want to pay their hourly going rate. I've got it working for the moment, but was wondering if other people were encountering a similar issue, and if they had any tips for optimizing settings beyond just upping RAM and execution times.

That being said, I appreciate the effort and your taking time to offer some input.

Thanks again,
Mike

When you see -200 in the uploader, it means an error happened at the server level that couldn't be caught (and thus a more appropriate error message displayed). Quite often, the issue is that GD ran out of memory attempting to manipulate a large image file. Increasing your memory limit can help work around that issue, as can using ImageMagick instead of GD if it is available for manipulating images (AdminCP > System > Files > "Image Settings" button at the top right).

7 hours ago, bfarber said:

When you see -200 in the uploader, it means an error happened at the server level that couldn't be caught (and thus a more appropriate error message displayed). Quite often, the issue is that GD ran out of memory attempting to manipulate a large image file. Increasing your memory limit can help work around that issue, as can using ImageMagick instead of GD if it is available for manipulating images (AdminCP > System > Files > "Image Settings" button at the top right).

Thanks for the insight, that being said, we're running into the issue when people are uploading zip files and not images. We host community-made modifications for the Grand Theft Auto series of games. Some of these files are 100+mb in size and that's when the error hits.

Hopefully, the increased memory usage and execution time nips the issue in the bud.

Have a good one,
Mike

Just now, GTAPoliceMods
7 hours ago, bfarber said:

Thanks for the insight, that being said, we're running into the issue when people are uploading zip files and not images. We host community-made modifications for the Grand Theft Auto series of games. Some of these files are 100+mb in size and that's when the error hits.

Hopefully, the increased memory usage and execution time nips the issue in the bud.

Have a good one,
Mike

I’ve found that ModSecurity caused this error for us, I’m not sure if it’s this that actually triggers it but worth disabling it if you have it enabled and test.

16 minutes ago, CP_User said:

I’ve found that ModSecurity caused this error for us, I’m not sure if it’s this that actually triggers it but worth disabling it if you have it enabled and test.

Disabling ModSecurity is NEVER advisable! Instead, localize the ModSecurity Rule triggering the issue/error and whitelist that particular Rule # using ConfigServer ModSecurity Control plugin – if you're on a cPanel server.

Just now, Lucas James
16 minutes ago, CP_User said:

Disabling ModSecurity is NEVER advisable! Instead, localize the ModSecurity Rule triggering the issue/error and whitelist that particular Rule # using ConfigServer ModSecurity Control plugin – if you're on a cPanel server.

I’m aware, but it was only to test which was advised. 🙃

11 hours ago, GTAPoliceMods said:

Have a good one,
Mike

Do you store files locally, or remotely (i.e. on S3)? If you store files anywhere besides the file system, the entire file needs to be read into memory in order to transfer it which can also consume a lot of memory.

In general, if you allow uploading of larger files you may find you need to raise certain limits (such as the memory limit).

Archived