Q&A and Best Answer Schema from Google -- for forums

Fast Lane!

I actually see it as a major risk for us as it goes along with Google approach to provide information in the search results instead of giving a link to the site where the info is.

In the end the users just don't go to your site, so you don't get anything... 

I get that Google does not want users to leave their sites but this policy can probably make a huge number of site disappear...

16 hours ago, jesuralem said:

I actually see it as a major risk for us as it goes along with Google approach to provide information in the search results instead of giving a link to the site where the info is.

In the end the users just don't go to your site, so you don't get anything... 

I get that Google does not want users to leave their sites but this policy can probably make a huge number of site disappear...

My competitors are always listing above us for these and it builds credibility (for them). You can limit the except sizes top help. 

In general I disagree on it hurting you.  Here is a quick example where the only things above the fold is the rich snippet Google grabbed.  All other listings are below the fold -- which is becoming common.  The only thing that competes is video (a big push for Google... and popular for users these days).

image.thumb.png.b0060049ecdadf7de0b7a98e1f1426f3.png

and another example:

image.thumb.png.8aafccb3358e875fbd7f68720409cab0.png

That is exactly the problem, when the user search for the world fatest cars, he gets the answer on google's page so he won't visit your site. Meaning no income for you and google gets to display his ads... leveraging your content...

More than 50% of searches are zero click searches, so even if you are 1st ranked you won't get a click.

I'll state the obvious. We can complain (Google doesn't care) and get less visibility or jump on board.  If you don't rank on the rich snippets then you are even farther down the page with less clicks. I'm pragmatic.

You will note that the URL is in plan site below the snippets which are only partial info.  It's not that bad. 

Edited by Fast Lane!

Yeah, I mean the reality is Google will just get the info from a different site if you don't supply it. Your strategy isn't going to help your site overall.

I, for one, will say that while I browse the snippets Google shows like anyone else, I almost always also click into the site if the information seems relevant. The short snippet in a search result is rarely enough to answer whatever it is I'm searching for.

• 6 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 10:34 AM, bfarber said:

Yeah, I mean the reality is Google will just get the info from a different site if you don't supply it. Your strategy isn't going to help your site overall.

I, for one, will say that while I browse the snippets Google shows like anyone else, I almost always also click into the site if the information seems relevant. The short snippet in a search result is rarely enough to answer whatever it is I'm searching for.

Any thoughts on adding this?