[GT] Members | Group Enhancements

The IPS Groups system is POWERFUL. It’s the best way to reward contributors. But, it’s missing some features.

For starters, allowing members to join certain Groups can provide you with additional data. It will also help members connect with like-minded individuals.

When you provide a mechanism for members to join public groups you empower them. You give them the choice to choose what's best for them. This is one way to retain members and increase engagement.

FEATURES in Members | Group Enhancements

NEW: Option to edit the Public Name of each group. 

The Public Name of a group is the name displayed on the frontend (to your users).

Let's say you may want to break up your Members group into newcomers and active

Normally, the community would notice two new groups when doing this but with GTMG they could still see 'Members' (Public Name for each group).

NEW: Option to set a group as Secondary Group Only. 

I have 20+ years experience in managing a forum. I can tell you from experience, adding new groups (and members to groups) can be a daunting task. The best thing to do is to CLEARLY separate your Primary from your Secondary groups. 

Use Primary Group as the base when it comes to options and permissions. 

Use Secondary Groups to add (options/permissions) to the base.  

NEW:  Option to display multiple group badges in Profiles and Posts. 

post_joinedGroup.thumb.png.ff668e3b6f9bbc147b2b1390ce57c2d2.png

Group Badges will be a favorite in your community. The minute you put this up on your site your members will ask you “What are these badges?” and “How can I get one?”

profile-groups.png.7b63fb6d892225398ba7a94f792e3515.png

NEW: Option to hotlink badges in Profiles and Posts. 

Link could go to a landing page explaining the group (selling its benefits, why it exists, etc) or you could link to the Directory or a Club. The goal is to inform your audience about each group.

For example, we have a badge linked to the store (for premium group), another to our "group badges" page, and another linked to a  page for recruiting influencers.

NEW: Option to create “Public Groups”. 

This option empowers members to join the group(s) they best fit in. Members can join Public Groups via Registration and Account Settings. 

It’s getting harder to get users to share personal information.

I use Public Groups as a way to get information that I can use for business purposes.

For example, if I ask members via Registration or Account Settings which military branch they belong to it will likely be ignored. But, if I create Public Groups for Army, Air Force, Marines, and Navy they are more likely to take action. 

join-public-groups-on-registration.thumb.png.9fcb78a007973d95f930e3a67588588f.png

joinGroup1.thumb.png.a1f2f424e79433835d246cb599fdd9ff.png

NEW: Option to create a directory of your favorite Groups. 

Directory can be a standalone feature or integrated within the Leaderboard page. 

I personally use this to attract influencers. It’s sorted by activity so the more active they are the more eyeballs on them. This increases participation in the group.

directory.thumb.png.48cf733d50d365c623ceadeda1e06885.png

BONUS

To help you with your Groups Management, we are providing you with the following additional features:

1. Group Options (Permissions) Matrix - An efficient way to compare static values
  2. Sort Groups - Sort groups per personal choice.

TIPS

✔️ It’s best to use small Group Badges when displaying multiple badges in posts.

✔️ Members will have questions regarding your Public Groups. The best thing to do is to create an information page and hotlink the badges to the page.

✔️ When you enable Directory, keep ‘Time Limit’ and ‘Page Limit’ low. On large sites, a high setting may cause the page to load slower.

✔️ Use the new groups to your advantage. Use Bulk Email to target specific groups. For example, you can onboard the New Member group.

SIMPLIFIED FEATURE SET 

Backend (ACP)

1. New Group Settings
    • Public Name - Display different Group Name on the frontend.
    • Description - Add a group description to use for Group Directory.
    • Landing Page URL - Allows admin to hotlink Group Badge to a page. eg. directory or custom page
    • Set As Secondary Group - Restricts group as secondary group only.
    • Public Group? - Allow members to join group
    • Show in Directory - Control which groups can be found in Group Directory.
  2. Sort Groups Frontend/Backend - Sort groups per personal choice.
  3. Compare Group Options Matrix - A quick way to compare static values.

Frontend

1. Members can join 'Public Groups' during Registration
  2. Members can edit 'Public Groups' in Account Settings
  3. Group Badges (multiple) in Posts
  4. Group Badges (multiple) in Profile
  5. Group Directory
    • Can use as standalone feature
    • Can integrate with Leaderboard
    • Can choose default index group

GETTING STARTED

1. Install App
  2. Edit each Group in Members > Groups
    • Public Name (required)
    • Show in Directory
      • Directory SEO Slug
    • Group Description
    • Group Landing Page URL
    • Set As Secondary Group Only
    • Set As Public Group
  3. Now, go to Members > [GT] Groups Settings.

IMPORTANT: If you have a custom style some of the template changes may not work properly. If this happens to you just private message me and I will help.

Edited by GTServices

Can I achieve below with the app? 

1. A request form to join to others groups. 

This form will appear as the Completetion of My Profile, the member (after registration is placed automatically in group Member) have to fill it to start the request for others groups permission.

2. The moderator received the request notification then verify the form filled if data are trust, if yes moderator take a click action then the member is automatically added to the group. In this process the moderator don't have to go to ACP for any setting. 

3. The form will contains subforms of all groups. Example, group A, B, C. If the member choose "I want to join to the group A", then appear the form with requirements have to filled.

This process guarantees that the right person join to the right group. Scene of use: My community members are students of 3 schools, right now all are the Group member. I need place them in others groups with their school name and specifically permission. I think this is an automated mechanism, member start request, moderator verify and approve. 

Ah, there need ability of update action for all forms or fields filled, because students can change school and scale grade for next year. 

Edited by kmk

There are no special "fields" for members to fill out after joining a group. They just have the option to join group.

joinGroup1.png.5069c781d4e19a32f441d36dc

The same options are found in Registration as well.

There is no "confirmation process". The goal here is to make it as easy as possible for members to take action.

When a member joins a Public Group(s) we can use this information to onboard the members.

For example, we can use Bulk Mail or Announcements to target specific groups. With this information we can easily onboard the members to take whatever action that you want them to take. ie. fill out a form

• 3 weeks later...

What's New in Version 1.0.4  

Fixed bug when having multiple languages. Public Name is now a required field.
Added a new option to Restrict Group Type as either Primary or Secondary Groups. (Previously, it was set up as default.)
Minor CSS/Template changes when displaying group icons in Profile. 
Added error messages when appropriate 
Some language changes

it would be nice if it is possible to propose different groups according to the main group.

If you are a member here are the public groups that you can join.

If you are moderator, here are the public groups that you can integrate.

also that certain groups are only available by select box. it's this one or this one

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2020 at 12:15 PM, fix3r said:

mine do not overlap each other and they are not even centered

957558140_ScreenShot2020-01-12at12_14_19PM.thumb.png.3950b536ef3350e254e230d98198f507.png

Sorry, I was away on a trip. I noticed you fixed this issue. GREAT JOB!!!! (Basically, you can edit the CSS.)

Even your PUBLIC GROUPS Directory looks AWESOME!!

On 1/12/2020 at 2:30 PM, fix3r said:

Made some Badges...

570414089_ScreenShot2020-01-12at2_28_47PM.thumb.png.44aeab27fe4d344505c21e46a56d2f82.png

Military.zip 217.58 kB · 0 downloads

These look great. Thanks for giving back to the community.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, annadaa said:

it would be nice if it is possible to propose different groups according to the main group.

If you are a member here are the public groups that you can join.

If you are moderator, here are the public groups that you can integrate.

also that certain groups are only available by select box. it's this one or this one

Is possible? 🤔 

10 hours ago, AlexWright said:

I have a question before purchasing this app. Is it possible to restrict based on birthday? For example, I have an NSFW group that users must be 18 or older to join. Is it possible to run a check via this app against a birthday?

Sorry, this doesn't check for "birthday". This has nothing to do with birthdays. 😕

6 hours ago, kmk said:

Is possible? 🤔 

Sorry, not possible. This app will display all Public Groups to the user.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have Part of Leaderboard selected. When I go to the leaderboard and click on "Top Groups" I get the following error:

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.
Error code: EX1064

This error was probably caused by application [GT] Members | Group Enhancements.
If the issue persists, disable it and contact the author for further assistance.

SELECT * FROM `core_members` WHERE completed=1 AND last_activity>=1597043560 ORDER BY `last_activity`  desc LIMIT 0,-1
IPS\Db\Exception: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-1' at line 1 (1064)
#0 /var/www/html/system/Db/Select.php(373): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*IPS\\Helpers\\T...', Array, true)
#1 /var/www/html/system/Db/Select.php(436): IPS\Db\_Select->runQuery()
#2 /var/www/html/system/Helpers/Table/Db.php(397): IPS\Db\_Select->rewind()
#3 /var/www/html/init.php(820) : eval()'d code(56): IPS\Helpers\Table\_Db->getRows(NULL)
#4 /var/www/html/applications/membergroupenhancements/modules/front/groups/directory.php(197): IPS\Helpers\Table\membergroupenhancements_hook_table_db->getRows(NULL)
#5 /var/www/html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\membergroupenhancements\modules\front\groups\_directory->manage()
#6 /var/www/html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#7 /var/www/html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

Thank you for reporting. I'll get this fixed.

Plus, I need to upgrade to 4.5. 😉

8 hours ago, Josiah Wallingford said:
  1. Where is the Standalone Directory? I can't find it on the front end or menu options in admin.
  2. What I was hoping I could do was create a page and have groups as a block option to choose which groups to show along with their description on the page. Is this possible?

I believe this is what you are looking for...

directory.thumb.png.48cf733d50d365c623ce

the tabbed UI are groups ... it will fetch members based on the active tab

16 hours ago, GTServices said:

Thank you for reporting. I'll get this fixed.

Plus, I need to upgrade to 4.5. 😉

I believe this is what you are looking for...

directory.thumb.png.48cf733d50d365c623ce

the tabbed UI are groups ... it will fetch members based on the active tab

Thank you for the fix.

That is what I am looking for, but for select groups that are public and non-public. I basically want to create a nice looking members directory that is organized by (mostly non-public) group.

What I was hoping for would be a block called "Member Group" or something I could drag onto a page and then select which group or groups I want to display. A pre-built page would be fine through that just had tabs for each group as long as I could select which groups to display and in which order to display them.

I have many members in many groups and there is a specific hierarchy much like a military hierarchy which I want to display. So each group would show up in that hierarchy organization with the description of each of those groups displaying.

Edited by Josiah Wallingford
  • 2 weeks later...