Pages - reorder records

Sonya*

It would be perfect if we could easily reorder records in Database (drag and drop). While sorting by publish date, ID and so on makes sense for news and blogs, it is often not appropriate for other databases. Examples are tutorials, features, help files, collections.

I know that I can create a custom order field, fill it with something like 10, 20, 30 and sort by this field. And then adjust the field values while adding new records or edit it to reorder. But it is not so smart as drag and drop. I wish we could have reorder feature for records like menu items or categories in the ACP.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:05 AM, Sonya* said:

It would be perfect if we could easily reorder records in Database (drag and drop). While sorting by publish date, ID and so on makes sense for news and blogs, it is often not appropriate for other databases. Examples are tutorials, features, help files, collections.

I know that I can create a custom order field, fill it with something like 10, 20, 30 and sort by this field. And then adjust the field values while adding new records or edit it to reorder. But it is not so smart as drag and drop. I wish we could have reorder feature for records like menu items or categories in the ACP.

Drag and drop records would be extremely resource intensive. Remember that dragging and dropping one record, will update all the other records position too. This in a db/category with many many records won’t be good.

36 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Drag and drop records would be extremely resource intensive. Remember that dragging and dropping one record, will update all the other records position too. This in a db/category with many many records won’t be good.

Yes, but this can be also done as background task if it is too resource intensive. Actually I am trying to create a tutorial database and it is a pain to sort the different steps. There is also a bug in cms not allowing to set the publish date to immediate once the article is saved. I have to set the dates manually right now (while sorting the lessons by publish date) to get the right order. 😞

• 2 months later...

While databases are growing we still need the feature to easily reorder the records within Pages. We have created a database field for custom order by. However, it is a mess now within a database with lot of records. We have to open tons of records to adjust the field value right now. If someone has a solution/idea of how to reorder records within database categories logically, please share it

Angry Freak Out GIF by Polyvinyl Records

Archived