What sort of usergroups you have in your forum?

Maxxius

Hello, I'm thinking about expanding available usergroups on my forum since group promotion possibilities have been vastly improved since 3.4.

To this day I had only these groups:

• newbie group for newly registered members
  • user group with more access to various functions when they reach 50 posts
  • a VIP group that is given to very deserving members or donators even more permissions

Now that I look at it I think there are more possibilities to make things more interesting but before I close myself in a dark room to do some creative thinking about it all can any of you share what have you implemented in your forums to engage users and keep them wanting to climb up the ladder so to speak?

Immediate ideas that I have is to make a group or groups that are based on members registration date. so a newbie can't be someone who registered 5 years ago but doesn't post anything but visit regularly. But then I think about combinations where I'd try to include things that include having a gallery/blog and my heads starts to swell thinking about the hierarchy of groups, hierarchy of it all.

Please share your best practices and strategies that you have thought out during your use of IPS suite.

bang head can't think GIF

29 minutes ago, Maxxius said:
  • newbie group for newly registered members
  • user group with more access to various functions when they reach 50 posts
  • a VIP group that is given to very deserving members or donators even more permissions

Sounds fine. I wouldn‘t go beyond it unless you have very good reasons. The more groups you have, the more messy it gets dealing with permissions. 

yes, I have to for member engagements sake. Me having 2 groups just doesn't cut it anymore and there were numerous request for that over the years while I was lazy and ignored it. I truly want to take advantaged of IPS system improvements and not to go overboard to create confusion. I believe having 2 groups is far from being complicated. 😄

Archived