Does a custom database feature exist?

Douglas Glover

I see that there does look to be one that creates something like Articles that people can use, but say I wanted a database where users can for instance choose a game from a list and say "I have this game", or even help to build out the database like "Game X exists, here are the details for it" and stuff like that?

Ideally I'd like to let users build a list of games, and then say "I have this game" and then for the database to be able to say "X users have this game". Something like that.

1 hour ago, opentype said:

That part wouldn’t be available directly though. You can certainly create a game database and also offer ratings, comments, reviews and things like that. That’s available out of the box with Pages. 

Yeah this is kinda the big thing I want really.  I see I can create a more robust DB than I had previously understood w/ Pages, but I'd really love to have users able to say "I have this" and then for the site to say "X users have it". 

Do you think it's something that I could build within the framework, assuming PHP/SQL experience? I know how I'd build it custom from scratch, but I'd like to adhere to the tools available as closely as possible with this.

Couldn't you have an input on the page/record for a particular game that allows users to indicate (say a checkbox) that they have the game, and in a hidden field capture the current user's MemberID and store it in a database that has the GameID and the MemberID?

Then, you could build a display that queries that table and output "x members have this game" on the game's page.

I haven't started using Pages yet, so I will defer to experts like @opentype who are very familiar with how Pages works to say if this is possible or not out of the box.

If you learn our framework, absolutely you could do it. I'd probably create a plugin that adds a new database table to track ownership, and then show a button on the record page that says "I have this game" / "I no longer have this game" (if you currently have it), which when clicked will add a row to that table/remove your current row from the table. It would be a fairly simple plugin to create all in all.

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

If you learn our framework, absolutely you could do it. I'd probably create a plugin that adds a new database table to track ownership, and then show a button on the record page that says "I have this game" / "I no longer have this game" (if you currently have it), which when clicked will add a row to that table/remove your current row from the table. It would be a fairly simple plugin to create all in all.

Thanks for the info! I'm excited to dig in once I get a bit of breathing room and will try my hand at building the plugin for myself! Worst case as I understand it there are proficient users for hire in the Marketplace as well, so potentially that route can be taken if I'm too busy with the day to day. Really enjoying the software so far!

It would be great to extend Pages functionality like Douglas idea. I'm currently working on an astronomy objects observing list and would be great if I can let the user say "Observed / Not Observed" for each deep space object and list them. 

On top of that I've been trying to use an "upload" field to let the users upload images of each object, but even if I "open" all the DB permissions, they can't upload anything.

Thanks in advance!

Archived