Is SKU number available yet for Commerce?

expeditedshipper

I was looking and saw that the SKU number wasn't available for Commerce. The posts were older and I didn't see anything else about it. Is the SKU number option available for Commerce yet? If so, where can I find it? I couldn't find it anywhere. If it isn't available natively, is there a good work-around for it? Thank you.

Custom Fields wouldn't do the trick here.

The SKU field is something to identify the product, not information about the purchase.

Basically, its something thats along the lines of the Title, Description, Price, Stock Level, etc. of the product.

In database terms, we'd need something like p_sku in the nexus_packages table.

I imagine a developer could add this, though it would be nice if it were default functionality since SKU is a pretty ubiquitous field among ecommerce offerings.

In general, it’s just standard practice to clearly and easily identify a product without relying on the name. Imagine you are selling hundreds of technical parts, furniture parts or something like that. Or hundreds of t-shirts all with size and color options. It’s just easier to get the right product in the warehouse when the packaging slip says “AB022” and you go to the AB shelf and pick one of the 022 boxes. Of course it’s also easier to use that code as product identifier in other software the vendor might be using instead of trying to match the name manually. 

Archived